pH test strips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
I have some Colorphast ph test strips, can I use them to test my water only, and when I check the mash do you have to rinse the off the wort (will it affect the color of the strip? ) my water shows a 5.5 ph on the color chart, is this ok? thanks:rockin:

your tap water is 5.5?? that's pretty acidic tap water.

you would not rinse off the wort. even a stout won't cause problems reading a pH strip.

the issue with pH strips is if they get a little wet/humid, they can give off readings.

your tap water is 5.5?? that's pretty acidic tap water.

you would not rinse off the wort. even a stout won't cause problems reading a pH strip.

the issue with pH strips is if they get a little wet/humid, they can give off readings.
Thanks for the reply Malkore, my next question then is what should my water be? I know Ill have to check the mash ph, because thats where the good stuff is, thanks

Somehow I doubt your tap water is lower than 7. It's probably more along the 8 range. Do the pH strips read higher than 7? Any I've seen don't have a range of 5-8. More like 1 with a range of tenths or two tenths in between.

Somehow I doubt your tap water is lower than 7. It's probably more along the 8 range. Do the pH strips read higher than 7? Any I've seen don't have a range of 5-8. More like 1 with a range of tenths or two tenths in between.
They read from 5.0 to 10.0, Im gonig to do BP's Stoneface RIS this afternoon,Ill check th ph of the mash then, I assume Ill check it at the end when I start recirculating, Ill report back later, thanks.:rockin:

My understanding is that the pH of the water is not that important - the quantities of Calcium,Bicarbonate and other elements in the water are what determine what the pH will be during the mash. I've found the best thing to do is take readings midway through the mash over consecutive brews. If the pH is too high add more gypsum to your brewing water the next time and repeat until you get as close to 5.2 as possible.

it's not unusual for tap water to be acidic. dissolved CO2 reacts with the water to form carbonic acid. it takes very little acid or base to change the pH of water from 7 to 6 or 8 respectively. it's nothing to be worried about.

Back