pH Stabilizer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
I bought a pH stabilizer when ordering my first all grain ingredients.
It is measured for a 5 gallon batch.
I will be making a 10 Gallon batch.

My question is do I add this to the dough-in water...or the sparge water...or
both? Also, since it is a 10 G batch, is is safe to double the stabilier? (it is a white poder, with no ingredients list that was bought from Paddock Wood)

Thanks !

I use it in both the mash and the sparge water, but if I only had enough for one step, I put it in the mash. I use pH5.2 and they say a little too much is less of a problem than not enough. (some where on the board I've posted the chemistry)

Yes, double it for ten gallons, and use it both in your mash and in your sparge. In the mash, it aids in the efficiency of the enzymes. In the sparge, it inhibits the leeching of astringency-causing compounds, supposedly.

Axegod said:
Great ! I have 5 packs...so I'll use 4.

Thanks for the info !

Cheers.

Whoa there. 5.2 ph stabalizer that you get from Paddock just don't have the required amount in them. They have a little more. I tablespoon of 5.2 is enough in a 5 gallon brew.
I add it to my mash water when doughing in so it gets mixed welll through the mash. You shouldn't need any in the sparge water , so 2 packs should be more than enough for a 10 gallon batch.
icon14.gif

Back