PH Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moreb33rplz

Reaction score
My water report indicates PH of 9.4. Using Brun Water, and the brewer's friend online calc, after adding 2% acid malt, indicating my grist will produce 5 SRM, and no water additions, my predicted mash PH is between 5.3 and 5.5.

How is the PH so low? Looking at other water profiles, it seems common to have a tap water PH much lower than 9.4, yet the mash PH ends up being about the same. Are base malts generally in the 5-6 range, and the influence of the water on PH is negligible?

Since this is an in-depth topic if the answer isn't simple but there is a resource somewhere you can recommend for me to check out would be appreciated. I'm curious.

Are base malts generally in the 5-6 range, and the influence of the water on PH is negligible?
Respectively, yes and no. The water does have a considerable influence on the pH of the mash but the pH of the mash does not depend on the water's pH but rather its alkalinity. If your water's pH is high (as it is here) but the alkalinity is low or modest the sauermalz can overcome it and the alkalinity of the grains.

Since this is an in-depth topic if the answer isn't simple but there is a resource somewhere you can recommend for me to check out would be appreciated. I'm curious.

Such matters are discussed extensively in the Brew Science forum.

Back