pH of Castle Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epos7

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experience using Castle Belgian Pilsner malt with a mash pH calculator?

I've been using the Brewer's Friend calculator, and it nailed my mash pH for my first four brews. On my last two, I used the above pilsner malt instead of 2 row, and my mash pH came in significantly higher. Brewer's Friend predicted a mash pH of 5.4, and I came in at 5.76. Meter was calibrated and my RO filter is working normally. It seems like this particular malt must have a fairly high pH.

I do not have a pH meter, so this is somewhat unrelated, but I did notice a 5-7% drop in efficiency every time I use this particular malt.

I do not have a pH meter, so this is somewhat unrelated, but I did notice a 5-7% drop in efficiency every time I use this particular malt.

I got my best efficiency to date using it, go figure. Narrowed the gap on my mill though, I think that was why. Will be interesting to see if I see another jump when I go back to 2 row.

Just curious if anyone has experience using Castle Belgian Pilsner malt with a mash pH calculator?

I've been using the Brewer's Friend calculator, and it nailed my mash pH for my first four brews. On my last two, I used the above pilsner malt instead of 2 row, and my mash pH came in significantly higher. Brewer's Friend predicted a mash pH of 5.4, and I came in at 5.76. Meter was calibrated and my RO filter is working normally. It seems like this particular malt must have a fairly high pH.

I use Belgian Pilsner malt exclusively as a base malt, either Castle or Dingmans. Both result in a higher than predicted (Bru'n Water) mash pH. Similar to what you are seeing.

I got my best efficiency to date using it, go figure. Narrowed the gap on my mill though, I think that was why. Will be interesting to see if I see another jump when I go back to 2 row.

Nice! I just have my LHBS mill my grain for me. Do you BIAB?

It seems like this particular malt must have a fairly high pH.

You have a pH meter and you have some of the malt so it should be easy enough for you to answer your implied question for your own and our (the readers') benefit. Grind up a small amount (coffee grinder, spice grinder...) and add to 2.5 times as much water by weight e.g. 40 grams of malt, 100 mL of DI or RO water at about 130 °F. Stir thoroughly several times over the course of half an hour. Cool a small sample to room temperature and check the pH.

Nice! I just have my LHBS mill my grain for me. Do you BIAB?

Yup! Still learning and making improvements as I go. I started out using the mill at my LHBS, but it's worn out so I bought my own.

You have a pH meter and you have some of the malt so it should be easy enough for you to answer your implied question for your own and our (the readers') benefit. Grind up a small amount (coffee grinder, spice grinder...) and add to 2.5 times as much water by weight e.g. 40 grams of malt, 100 mL of DI or RO water at about 130 °F. Stir thoroughly several times over the course of half an hour. Cool a small sample to room temperature and check the pH.

Good idea. I'll have to give that a try. Think my barley mill would produce a fine enough crush for this test? I'm hesitant to use a coffee grinder as the grain would pick up some acidic coffee dust in the process.

Back