ph numbers mash and post boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inda_bebe

Reaction score
I was brewing a pale ale in the moring BIAB style and added my salts and 4.6ml of lactic acid before doughing in. so right before mash out i checked my ph and it was at 5.3 @ 150f. Did my mash out, boiled for 90 min. then cooled it down to ferment. so i did another ph reading and it was 6.0 @ 65f.

How do you guys check your pH and what part of the process would you like your disired target pH to be?

Something not right here. Either your meter was not calibrated or it is not stable or you used it wrong or something else interfered with the readings. The meter should be calibrated at room temperature and samples cooled to room temperature. See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=302256 for tips on how to do this and how to do a stability check.

As hinted at in the previous paragraph the procedure is to calibrate at room temperature and measure at room temperature. Measurement should begin right after strike and should, in general, fall in the region 5.3 - 5.6. Subsequent readings should be taken in the mash, in the kettle and, in the fermenter and in the beer. pH will either climb slightly or decline slightly throughout the mash depending on the grist, salt additions and mash program (infusion or decoction). pH at the end of the boil should be about 5.1. pH in the fermenter should drop significantly in the first 24 hrs.

i got a cheap ass ph meter, gonna try this again following the directions from your link.

Back