PH Meter users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
I got me a new PH meter with ATC and I have a question for people who have them. Is it best to pull a sample after mashing in or wait to you vorlauf?
I seem to have a few points difference. I know if I was going to make a correction I would do it after 5-10 mins of mashing in.

pH does tend to rise through the course of the mash. I find that its best to collect a sample as early as possible after the dough in and mixing or recirculation so that you have an opportunity to adjust pH in a timely manner. Certainly within the first 15 minutes, if not earlier.

Do remember that ATC is NOT useful in brewing since there are 2 factors that alter the pH reading of the mash. ATC only corrects one of them. Therefore, it is better for the reading accuracy and for the protection of the pH probe to cool the sample to room temperature before checking pH.

Back