ph levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyb

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a year now and have started the transition into all grain and im a little worried about the ph levels in my water. I have well water that is treated with a water softening system. I bypass the softener with a direct water supply from my well pump to my HLT. I do not have a neutralize and this is my issue. I have tested my water and below are the resualts:

Chlorine = 0
PH = 4
Alkalinity = 80
Hardness = 0 (water softener)

Im starting to find a acidic taste to the beers. I have some gypsum i bought originally before i bypassed the softener. I read in how to brew by john palmer that it could help. But that chapter confused the hell out of me (im no rocket scientist i just love beer). I'm brewing tomorrow and plan to check the ph level of the mash im shooting for 5.1-5.5.

Thanks for any insight you guys might have, stay thirsty my friends.

Danny B

Some 5.2 Mash Stabilizer will take care of your pH problems for you. It's widely available at homebrew shops throughout the U.S.

Brewing tomorrow you probably don't have time to get 5.2 buffer. Take a look at this thread. With a little research and these free tools you may well be able to get your water close to what you need given the water information you already with household items (Plus your gypsum) in time for your brew.

Back