pH buffer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
ok, so I have this 5.2 pH buffer. I have heard different things about using it. Can it be used on low pH or high pH water? I use it in the strike water and (more importantly) in the HLT water, correct.

You may not need to use it at all. It is the mash pH that is important - NOT your waters pH. You can check to see if your mash pH is OK by either 1) checking the mash with pH paper or a pH meter or 2) mash a recipe and see if you get reasonable conversion efficiency. With my moderately hard water I only need to use the 5.2 with very pale lagers and even then I use about 1/2 the recommended amount.

GT

To answer the other question, yes it will both bring up low pH or bring down pH as long as you add enough to overcome the buffering capacity of your water - that's the nature of buffers.

Also +1 on the it's the mash pH that matters, not the strike water.

I use it in the HLT. This can be more important if you have high temporary hardness in your water and you fly sparge.

I don't use it at all...anymore. I used to use spring water with the 5.2 buffer and my efficiency was spuratic, but never above 70%. I have since switched to using tap water run through a charcoal filter (per LHBS recomendation), and no buffer. I now consistently get 80-82% efficiency. I fly sparge and have pretty hard tap water.

If your water is off the charts for hardness or pH in the first place, the 5.2 stabilizer won't work properly. As i batch sparge, i only use 5.2 in the mash. FWIW.

That's good, then. I just wanted to bring up the point that buffers (5.2 included) don't work 100% of the time - if water is too basic, and the buffer isn't strong enough, the buffer alone often cannot bring the pH to target. Basically i wanted to convey to the OP that 5.2 isn't a catch all, and that additional thought is needed beyond just throwing it into the mash.

Back