PH at preboil.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I normally check and adjust the PH at 15 minutes into the mash. But when adding darker grains in the sparge (168 f) and knowing they will change the pH I started checking and adjusting the PH, (5.2-5.4), at the pre boil (after collecting the wort in the boil pot, before boiling). I was told this was all wrong and the PH needs to be adjusted in the mash.

I normally check and adjust the PH at 15 minutes into the mash. But when adding darker grains in the sparge (168 f) and knowing they will change the pH I started checking and adjusting the PH, (5.2-5.4), at the pre boil (after collecting the wort in the boil pot, before boiling). I was told this was all wrong and the PH needs to be adjusted in the mash.

The point of holding back dark grains until the sparge is so that they don't affect the mash pH. Adjusting to your preferred mash pH after withholding them from the mash is counterproductive. You want your pH in range for the mash.

Boil pH can be adjusted for things like protein coagulation, hop utilization, and wort coloring.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_pH_affects_brewing

Back