Pets and when its time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
So I had to put down our longtime family member Zeus this past Friday. He was almost 14 and at 100 lbs he certainly lived a great life.

IMG_0830.JPG

Before taking him in I poured some of my beer on the patio floor as he always appreciated lapping up some homebrew with me. Then I helped him into the pool so he and I could go swimming one last time (he's the black one).

574-Zeus_rufus_poolside.JPG

His younger brother Rufus certainly is going to miss him and is pretty depressed.
574-Zeus_Rufus.JPG

We got our cat Sassy the same time as Zeus as both pup and kitten.
1ST-205.JPG

She seemed pretty depressed as well and was having some health problems over the last year but was doing ok as of last week. I figured she wasn't eating because she was bummed out about Zeus too and she was hiding under the bed most the weekend. Then the wife pulled her out of hiding Sunday morning and it wasn't just depression. She was dying as well. We had to put her down Sunday. Kind of like an old married couple she just let go.

I've been lucky that previous pets went naturally. I didn't realize how tough it would be to do this. Having to euthanise two in less than 48 hrs really makes for a crappy weekend.

Dammit, that sucks. Sassy looks a lot like a cat The Wife and I had when we first got together that unfortunately passed away too soon (feline leukemia) a few years back, right around Christmas time. Sounds like they were both very well-loved and had great lives; there's nothing else you can do.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Sorry for your loss
Bob

My cat Tom is almost 11 years old and he definiteloy isn't the sprite kitty he used to be. It's always in the back of my mind that he is getting closer.

When that day comes for me it will be tough. I got that cat for my wife but over the years he has been more my cat than hers.

Sorry to see them go.

My heart goes out to you. I had to put down my beloved cat a few years back and it was one of the toughest things that i had ever had to do.

Thank you for giving them a wonderful life.

I had to put my 15 yo Baby down last year. Too many back leg problems, deaf, etc. She just wasn't able to move much and spent nearly her whole day sleeping. I felt like I was a traitor to her, but there was nothing else I could do. I dont' regret it, but I still do miss her and her own special ways.

Our 15 yo cat also died that winter, although I will say that she looked very nearly unchanged after all of those years. I don't know if it was old age, or what, but it was around the time of that pet food poisoning, so perhaps we just got unlucky. But, at 15 yo, that cat did pretty well, especially considering she was an outside cat most of the time.

sorry to hear it, we put ours down last year and I still get mildly choked up when I spot his collar next to the coat hanger/water bench.

Our pup dies a few months ago...it's scary when you are 'home alone'

I feel for ya man

My boyfriend's dog had to be put down last winter and it was very sad. In the last few years I got to know her pretty well and it was really tough on the family. For Christmas(maybe not the cheeriest of gifts. :/ ) I took the fabric from her bed, and wrapped it around a mat-board that I used to frame a photo of her where she was really happy.

Two in 48 hours is really tough. I lost two in six months about four years back and another last January. When I put Rusty down, I spent the whole drive to the vet's feeding him liver treats.

My condolences on your losses. We had to have our oldest of three to sleep several weeks ago. It was very sudden and we ended up at the emergency vet clinic late on a Saturday night. We were informed that he had cancer ~ a large tumor on his spleen and his spleen had torn open resulting in massive internal bleeding. Having to make that decision all of a sudden was one of the most difficult things I have had to do. Telling my 6 year old daughter whose bed Kravitz had slept in since she was out of a crib was THE most difficult.
I am really very sorry about your pets...

Sorry to hear. It's never easy; I've been there. But try to take some comfort in knowing you did the right thing for them.

Having been doen this same road too often, I send my condolences.

They gave you unconditional love. You gave them the ultimate but hardest

gift possible. May the memory of them be only full of the positive thoughts.

Hoisting a glass of porter in their honor.

Doug

I'm so sorry to hear that. Putting a pet down is one of the hardest things I've had to do so far in my life.

We have two Lhasa Apso's, 14 and 11, and we see with every passing month the 14-year-old getting older. And older and older....

Be strong. You were a good companion and your dog knew it. I dread the upcoming day I am in your shoes.

I tilt back my homebrew tonight for Man's Best Friend.

That really sucks! My wife and I are childless at the moment. My dog is kind like our kid. He gets all of our attention. Buzz, my lab, always wants to be with me. He loves sitting outside with me while I brew.

I really dread the day when I comes if I have to do what you did. I hope to have your strength to do the humane thing.

While not technically dead, I lost three cats due to divorce that I will never see again. At least I can think they're in a better place. Two pets actually dying within 48 hours, I don't know how I could handle it.

njtomato guy, your post made me cry. It's beautiful.

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. He looked like a great pet.

My dog is almost 14 and won't be around that much longer. Almost completely deaf, going blind, back and leg problems....

It's sad how man's best friend only lives 14 years. There are lesser pets that live way longer...

I'm sorry, it's hard. We had to bring in our cat Tass in on Friday also. Last summer he weighed in at 21 pounds (Bengal cat, so he wasn't that overweight), but during the year, he started having liver problems. He couldn't keep his temp up, an was down to 15 pounds at Thanksgiving, and when we took him in Friday, he was down to 7.

The worst part was trying to explain to my 5 year old daughter why he wasn't coming home from the vet this time.

Animals are funny that way, they really get attached to someone or something, when I still lived with my parents we had a black lab that got cancer. She would go up and down with how good she would do day to day, one day I got home before everyone else and I could tell that she was on her last leg, she could hardly stand, so I laid beside her in the yard just trying to comfort her. She always was super attached to my dad and wouldn't you know it she held on until my dad got home a couple of hours later and the minute my dad laid by her and gave her one last pet on the head she died. Still tears me up to this day.

Rufus has a new girlfriend. Meet Chloe, a 3 month old Shepherd/Chow mix.
IMG_3525.JPG

Bath time
IMG_3566.JPG

I think she's going to be the enforcer of the household once she grows up.
IMG_3531.JPG

I wasn't sure I was believing there is chow in her since her coat is pretty tight but she just yawned real big and we saw a black spot way back on her tongue so I guess that's confirmed. Hoping those ears stand up eventually!

Well congrats on the new family member! Losing a pet is hard. We had to put down our family dog when I was 16. He was a Golden Retriever named Roscoe. My parents had him since he was born, about 6 months before me. He was over 16 years old when we put him down. Then about a year later, two of his children, sisters, we had to put down due to cancer.

Damn dude, that is seriously rough. I had to give up my dog when I left for the Marines. That caused much heartache but he has a good home with a mailman now, and now I have another dog who I intend to keep for the rest of her life.

That must have been really hard.

Sorry for the loss. We had Spaz for 17 years before she left us. The day after, kids down the street were walking with a wheelbarow full of puppies. It was like spaz said "It's OK, I will always be remembered, but save another dog." Haze came into our life now and is a great addition. Congrats on the new pup. Later in life, spaz could not do what a kid want a dog to do, Chase bubbles :)

haze.jpg

Back