Petri Dishes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjensen1068

Reaction score
A buddy of mine works at a lab and was able to get me about 6 plastic petri dishes with agar. What is the best way to capture yeast with these? I took one outside and removed the lid for approx 30 sec faced it towards the wind. I put the lid back on and I'm awaiting any growth??

If I do see something that looks like yeast I was going to take a sterlized wire loop tool and transfer to a new dish. If that grows without other infection I was going to innoculate a batch of yeast starter.

Does this seem like an ok plan??

Ok so I'm about a week out from when I exposed the petri dish and still there is nothing growning on the surface. I mean NOTHING!

Do I just need to expose it for longer....if so, how long?

HELP!

Ok so I'm about a week out from when I exposed the petri dish and still there is nothing growning on the surface. I mean NOTHING!

Do I just need to expose it for longer....if so, how long?

HELP!

It's possible you just didn't catch anything. Wild yeast is one of those things that feels either nowhere or everywhere, depending on whether you're trying to grow it or to get rid of it.

But, leading up to that, are you keeping the plates warm, ideally in the mid to high 80s? Growth will be slow if you're at Omaha-autumn room temperature.

Back