Pet Peeves that drive me insane - whats yours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Sitting here reading throughout some of the posts, I stumbled across a couple of my pet peeves that irritate me to no end. How trivial they might be, I agree - THEY ARE TRIVIAL SO DONT DO THEM ANYMORE!!! :)

At any rate (and no - this post is not directed at anyone specifically, just everyone generally if you are guilty)

A couple that I can think of off the top of my head...

"I know how you feel" - Usually this is done in a sympathetic fashion when showing condolances to someone who has either suffered a loss of some sorts, or their situation is not good. While I appreciate the empathy - YOU DONT KNOW HOW I FEEL!! In fact, you have no ****ing clue as to how I feel and what I am dealing with here. You may know how YOU feel (or felt) but in no way shape or form do you know how I feel.
-Better response would be 'Wow, I can totally relate' keep it simple and about me damn it. Let ME feel how I FEEL. You can feel similar but its definitely not how I feel.

"Can I ask you a question?" - I think that this one bothers me on more of a daily basis than anything. 'Can I ask you a question?' Well guess what? You just did! And guess what else? I dont want to answer any more questions now!
Just get to the point and ask what you want to ask. Dont feel me out before you make the daring move to inquire about something from me. Just pull the trigger and ASK damn it! Whats the worst that I am going to say?
No? Hell No? I dont know?

Im sure there are more that are going to come to my brain when I least expect it, but I thought I would try to arouse a discussion regarding this. Not only to vent, but possibly learn a couple more things I may be guilty of that can be easily corrected.

Im still not lifting the toilet seat though...
-Me

Too many to list

From work

- Automated telemarketing, where you have a machine on the other end.
- Corporate Speak; Lets take it offline, and That's thinking out of the box
- Real long voice mails

From SWMBO
- Not throwing clothes in the hamper
- Not throwing out garbage/recycables like milk jugs, wrappers, bottle caps
- Driving the car home while its on fumes

Driving
- Driving slow in the fast lane
- Not turning off a turn signal for 20 miles
- Taking more than 1 parking space

Idiots
- Smoking while pumping gas
- Using a cell phone while checking out at a store
- People who don't mind their kids out in public.

People that block the entire isle in the supermarket and pretend they don't see you when you are standing there trying to get by. On top of that, they look at you like you have 3 heads when you say "Excuse me."

People who don't understand the concept of merging onto the freeway.

1. Get up to speed. You should be going the same speed as everyone in the right lane of the freeway BEFORE you hit the end of your onramp.

2. Find a hole. No, it's not my job to speed up or slow down so you can merge into the space I'm currently occupying. There's a hundred feet of open space you can take in front of my car or behind it.

3. Try looking to your left at least once or twice. Don't just drive to the end of your onramp and hope nobody is in the way.

People who bite forks and slide it against their teeth. .....EGAHHHH!!! Drive's me nuts.

Oh...that and people who put the letter "R" into words where they don't belong. Warshington DC. Warsh the car.

People who back up using only the rear view mirror. Its a good way to hit somebody.

(Now I'm thinking in a car w/o a trailer or blocked view)

- People who say "we" when referring to their favorite teams. If you're not playing, you're not part of the team.
- Doors that are closed on an empty bathroom.
- Finding my wife's cross stitch needles everywhere, usually in my rear after I sit in the recliner.
- People who don't say "thank you." Alternately, people who say "yup" when I thank them.
- Misuse of the English language.

People who bite forks and slide it against their teeth. .....EGAHHHH!!! Drive's me nuts.

Oh...that and people who put the letter "R" into words where they don't belong. Warshington DC. Warsh the car.
You'll love me, then. As a Bostonian, I've never pronounced an R.:D

You're vs your, there vs their vs they're, then vs than, etc. Is it really that hard?

Going out to eat in large groups for a bday or event and waiting for said brother or relative to arrive an hour late, and restaurant won't seat you until he arrives. If you can't arrive on time, then just say you can't make it!

Websites that don't open a new window and then force you exit because you can't go back...Arrrgh!!!:mad:

Hit the down arrow next to your back/forward buttons, and go back two pages. Then you'll be past their redirect page and won't have to exit.

Pet peeve: smart-asses who screw up a good rant by throwing advice into the middle of it.

-People who don't say thank you when I hold the door for them
-People that try to beat the light and end up stopped blocking the WHOLE intersection. Thanks, chief
-People who have a conversation with themselves and disguise it as a conversation with me
-People who call my cellphone more than twice in a row
-Leaving a voicemail message telling me to call you back

Man, I totally relate...I mean I really know how you feel! But, can I ask you a question? Do you really think you're so unique that nobody on planet earth might have had or is currently having the same feelings? I know our american culture fosters the idea that we're all special children with a unique and meaningful purpose in life...but that's just so you don't slit your wrists in high school really.

Anyways, a pet peave of mine? My SWMBO will ask me a question like "What should we have for dinner tonight?", and I'll answer "I think those pork chops would be good to BBQ and then we can make some sauteed veggies and some toasted sourdough.". Then she says, "Hmm, but doesn't ordering pizza sound better?". FMITGA! If you're just going to answer your own question anyways, STOP ASKING ME MY OPINION! It's kind of like asking someone for advice, then they turn around and tell you, "Hmm, interesting idea but I don't like it as much as my own idea.". WTF??? Or this one just the other day, "Honey should I get my mom the gardenias or the orchid?", "Well, I'd go with the orchid since it will last longer." I reply. She says? "No, I think the orchid is too expensive." Fine then! If you already know what you want just go buy the damn thing!

Sitting here reading throughout some of the posts, I stumbled across a couple of my pet peeves that irritate me to no end. How trivial they might be, I agree - THEY ARE TRIVIAL SO DONT DO THEM ANYMORE!!! :)

At any rate (and no - this post is not directed at anyone specifically, just everyone generally if you are guilty)

A couple that I can think of off the top of my head...

"I know how you feel" - Usually this is done in a sympathetic fashion when showing condolances to someone who has either suffered a loss of some sorts, or their situation is not good. While I appreciate the empathy - YOU DONT KNOW HOW I FEEL!! In fact, you have no ****ing clue as to how I feel and what I am dealing with here. You may know how YOU feel (or felt) but in no way shape or form do you know how I feel.
-Better response would be 'Wow, I can totally relate' keep it simple and about me damn it. Let ME feel how I FEEL. You can feel similar but its definitely not how I feel.

"Can I ask you a question?" - I think that this one bothers me on more of a daily basis than anything. 'Can I ask you a question?' Well guess what? You just did! And guess what else? I dont want to answer any more questions now!
Just get to the point and ask what you want to ask. Dont feel me out before you make the daring move to inquire about something from me. Just pull the trigger and ASK damn it! Whats the worst that I am going to say?
No? Hell No? I dont know?

Im sure there are more that are going to come to my brain when I least expect it, but I thought I would try to arouse a discussion regarding this. Not only to vent, but possibly learn a couple more things I may be guilty of that can be easily corrected.

Im still not lifting the toilet seat though...
-Me

I know how you feel. Can I ask you a question? Why is the toilet seat up?

Anyways, a pet peave of mine? My SWMBO will ask me a question like "What should we have for dinner tonight?", and I'll answer "I think those pork chops would be good to BBQ and then we can make some sauteed veggies and some toasted sourdough.". Then she says, "Hmm, but doesn't ordering pizza sound better?". FMITGA! If you're just going to answer your own question anyways, STOP ASKING ME MY OPINION! It's kind of like asking someone for advice, then they turn around and tell you, "Hmm, interesting idea but I don't like it as much as my own idea.". WTF??? Or this one just the other day, "Honey should I get my mom the gardenias or the orchid?", "Well, I'd go with the orchid since it will last longer." I reply. She says? "No, I think the orchid is too expensive." Fine then! If you already know what you want just go buy the damn thing!

I believe your wife and my wife need to get together so we can drink.
:mug:

Well, since you asked...

"Should of" as in "I realized I should of re-hydrated before pitching." Just stick with the contraction if you can't figure out what two words make it.

Lose/loose. You can't loose your virginity.

- Texting lingo (with you on that Schlenkerla)
- People who try to pronounce my surname without first asking for a pronounciation, which would, A) be more polite and, B) make me much more polite in return. Ninety five percent of people can't say it, so please don't butcher the hell out of it.

I hate it when people think I care to hear about their pet peeves. Man that really sucks. Here, let me look that up in my big book of stuff I don't give a **** about! :drunk:

- People who try to pronounce my surname without first asking for a pronunciation, which would, A) be more polite and, B) make me much more polite in return. Ninety five percent of people can't say it, so please don't butcher the hell out of it.

Isn't it pronounced "Dagnabbit"?

Guys at work that dont wash their hands after pissing or sh*tting, but go to their desk and rub antibacterial goop on their hands. Like they care about germs, but dont give a f*ck about their d*ck juice on the door that we have to feel.

Guys at work that dont wash their hands after pissing or sh*tting, but go to their desk and rub antibacterial goop on their hands. Like they care about germs, but dont give a f*ck about their d*ck juice on the door that we have to feel.

I think this is where my "You know what I hate" thread started. On the other hand I got really pissed when I was introduced to someone last week and they wouldn't shake my hand 'cos they saw me eat my last piece of banana, lick my fingers, then wipe then dry on my jeans. :mad:

Yah - I agree, they are just post whores. All they care about it upping their post count.

Aaaagggghhhhh, I just said I said that. I hate when people don't see that I said I hate when people say they hate what I just said I hate. Then they be hatin' like I'm only posting for the sake of posting. I never do that. In fact I hate it. It's my pet peeve!

Back