Pet bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get mine by digging through people's bins on recycling day. There are a couple of popular NZ soft drinks that come in 1.5L brown PET bottles. (Though as long as you store them in a dark place there's nothing wrong with using clear ones.)

Another source I sometimes use are smaller brown PET beer bottles collected from the stadium after sporting events. I usually leave with a bag full of them whenever I go there to watch a rugby match.

You can use 2L coke bottles or Biggs grocery store sells 1L brown PET bottles of root beer for $1.

Oh no, don't use root beer bottles! Seriously, I've never been able to get the smell of root beer out, not with PBW, bleach, Oxiclean, or dishwashing soap. As neat as a root beer beer sounds, it doesn't taste nearly as good as you'd think.

Edited: Other soda bottles have worked well for me in the past though.

I get 1 liter store brand tonic water for 79 cents each. I get the 6 pk of 24oz sprite on sale for pretty cheap sometimes too and they're pretty sturdy.

As much as people hate Mr Beer around here, I do really like the bottles. They look like normal glass beer bottles, only they're 1 liter in size. Amber colored and everything, but they're about $14 for an 8 pack. It's a slightly more expensive alternative to just buying some generic soda at the supermarket, but I think they look cool.

I like to use Club Soda bottles. No flavour in the original container means no off-flavours transferring to your beer!

If you do use clear PET bottles it's no problem so long as you store your beer in the dark. I keep mine in a box in the basement and have never experienced any skunking off flavours.

You all using the original caps? Wondering if I need to get new ones of not, dunno how the plastic gasket thing in the caps would work for re-use.

I've got too much fermenting and lack the bottles to bottle it all and was thinking of drinking some of the flavored sparkling water at work and saving the bottles (1 liter, clear, 57 cents) for the Apfelwein coming up (except a few bombers I intend to age hopefully a year+).

Ha Ha

I make 1 gallon PET bottles for a living that are Heat set plastic so they can be filled at 195F

Sorry I can't get you guys some - They work great for starters and test batches

You all using the original caps? Wondering if I need to get new ones of not, dunno how the plastic gasket thing in the caps would work for re-use.

I've reused my caps many times with no problems. Not sure what others do but so far I haven't had any issues at all! Just make sure to sanitize the caps same as the bottles.

I like to use Club Soda bottles. No flavour in the original container means no off-flavours transferring to your beer!

If you do use clear PET bottles it's no problem so long as you store your beer in the dark. I keep mine in a box in the basement and have never experienced any skunking off flavours.

+1 this. I put an add in craigslist that I want these. I have people bring them to me by the garbage bag. I have tons on hand. I also bottle in glass but if you are having a group or a party bottle in the 2 liter they will be finished fast enought to sustain the carbination.

Latest posts

Back