Perume in my bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanhollins

Reaction score
So I just bought 6 dozen grolsch style bottles on our local classifieds site Kijiji. They guy said he hasn't made beer in 20 years but the bottles are good. Maybe replace some of the little orange gaskets. No big deal.
Get them home and start cleaning them out and an aroma starts to fill the air. Cologne! I start looking at the labels closer and I'm thinking that's not names of beer. He's been making cologne in what are now my beer bottles.
I've rinsed, sanitized and bleached and they still smell. I'm assuming that my beer is going to be effected by this issue.
How can I get rid of the smell??? I was thinking rubbing alcohol next.
Thought?

I don't have anything constructive to offer, but I just wanted to point out how much I just rolled on the floor laughing at your situation... B-)

I'm really sorry... ;-)

You could try soaking them for a few days in bleach or OxyClean but it might not work. At this point, there's probably not a lot you can do.

Try soaking overnight with Oxyclean free. Maybe even boil them for a while.
I have 1 gallon pickle jars I use for iced tea, it took a while to get the pickle smell and taste out but I eventually prevailed.

I'm too stubborn to trash a gold mine of 72 Grolsch bottles. Cost me $40 so I guess it's not a
Massive loss. Yeah I'll keep soaking them. I'm not to worried about putting in some hard work to clean em up

dude. that sucks. i hope you didnt pay much for them.

....just saw your price. that really sucks.

What about a Dishwashing detergent of some sort. I understand that too leaves an odor, but is it the lesser of 2 evils.

Boil those things!
If that doesn't work, line them in all the windows of the house so you never do it agian.

It didn't actually go into how to do it. At the end of the paragraph,it said does this spark an idea?. Goes to an add to sell you stuff...????

Never having been in those shoes all I can offer is what I'd try. 1) Remove rubber washers. 2) Soak with diswasher detergent or Oxyclean for a few days as mentioned above. 3) Rinse. 4) Place the bottles in direct sun light for a few days. If that didn't do the trick I'd try some Red Devil TSP-90 & soak again. Cheers, and good luck!!!

It didn't actually go into how to do it. At the end of the paragraph,it said does this spark an idea?. Goes to an add to sell you stuff...????

It was towards the bottom of the page...keep scrolling down. It gives rubbing alcohol, soap, vodka, and lemon juice as effective methods.

Anything glass you can soak in acetone overnight and rinse thoroughly with water in the morning, then sanitize as usual. Acetone is very volatile and completely soluble in water, so it'll go away with a good rinse. Keep away from anything rubber or plastic though, it'll eat away at it. You can also try bleach if you like, once again, keep away from rubber or plastic & rinse thoroughly.

For the rubber/plastic components you can try isopropyl alcohol (use a spray paint mask at least) then rinse and let dry in an open environment with lots of ventilation.

Back