persimmon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracker45

Reaction score
Anyone know just the must does for making a simple but tasty persimmon wine? It's all knew to me but wanting to give it a try.

I'm almost ready to make the persimmon wine and noticed that the recipe is for a 1 gallon batch how would you alter for 5 gallon batch??

I have a cap of pulp that has rose to the top of my wine. I strained it out before moving to the carboy but the fine pulp that got through has tried to make a persimmon on steroids on top should I try to rack it and clear out the pulp?? Or punch it down and stir it back in??

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you've described. What do you mean when you say the fine pulp has tried to make a persimmon on steroids?

Here are my thoughts. If you've already transferred to secondary I'm assuming the very active stage of fermentation had already passed (ie your SG is around 1.010 or less). If that is true, minimizing oxygen contact is crucial from this point forward. Don't punch the cap or stir it. Don't rack it either. Just let it sit. You should be able to eliminate the pulp in the next racking.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Cracker45 said:
I have a cap of pulp that has rose to the top of my wine. I strained it out before moving to the carboy but the fine pulp that got through has tried to make a persimmon on steroids on top should I try to rack it and clear out the pulp?? Or punch it down and stir it back in??

Its still fermenting. No need to worry or do anything. Persimon has lots of sediment. It takes several rackings to get it all.
I admit to playing with my wine. When it does what your persimon is doing I add a little suger. Just about the time the suger hits bottom the wine goes into a rolling boil. All that sludge on the bottom comes to the top and bounces around. Lots of fun to watch. ( just watch out for a volcano effect!) when the yeast gets tirerd it no longer boils.
My guess is your yeast still wants to play. When its done it lets all the sludge settle. You can ignore it. The yeast will give up and let everything settle. Buts it more fun to play with it first!
Just be sure to add a spoonfull of suger or less the first time, unless you like volcanoes!

Lol I had the volcano!!! That's why I was worried I had a bit come out and I had what appeared to be airspace. That's been several days ago,and this is the very first attempt at making any home brew. So I may have messed up but I strained it out cleaned my carboy and added a white grape concentrate to top it off. I'm still limited on my equipment like I don't have a hydrometer to check what stage my wine is at. I guess I should've picked a more simple fruit but I figured what the heck go for it.

Cracker -- RDWHAHB! :D It'll probably be fine, but yes, you should run down to your local home brew store at your earliest convenience and pick up a hydrometer and test tube to test the gravity next time.

It is on my to do list :) thanks for the info!!! I need all I can get!! My rudimentary try on this run will probably end up more like a hillbilly night train wild Irish rose boones farm mix but worse :D but I'll try again.

Hey, as long as you learn something and try again, that's really all that matters. :) Of course it doesn't hurt if you make something you like to drink as well. :)

For sure!! If it taste decent then its a success! Thanks again for your help!! I'm sure I'll have other questions in the future. I actually got a wine making book for Christmas so I'm excited to use it as well.

Back