perplexing gravity issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am at my wits end trying to figure this one out. I have a gravity reading heading into the kettle at 1.066. My grain bill is 5 lb 2 row, 3 lb Vienna, 2 lb Munich, .5 lb of crystal 20L and .5 lb of crystal 60L. Total grain at 11lbs. Pre-boil volume is 6.6 gal. So why is the gravity so high? 110% efficiency is not possible. Help please............what am I missing here????

I am not done with the boil yet. The 1.066 was gravity heading into the boil.

It is probably a very dumb error and I will let everyone know when I find it. The only thing I did not have control over was the grain weight and crush. Homebrew shop did this, so maybe an error there? Is there any way to find out where the error was if it was a grain error. Is my grain bill too light or too heavy for the gravity??

So I just took my OG and it is about where it should be at 1.054. This gives me a brewhouse efficiency of 67.4%. So things should be fine. I just wonder why my mash efficiency was so darn high?? Oh well........cheers!!

I just wonder why my mash efficiency was so darn high??

It wasn't, you obviously had a measurement error since it is impossible to go down in gravity after boiling off water. Maybe you had stratification of the wort and were measuring mostly first runnings.

It wasn't, you obviously had a measurement error since it is impossible to go down in gravity after boiling off water. Maybe you had stratification of the wort and were measuring mostly first runnings.

Great point. Never even thought of that. Its been a long fun day. Thank you everyone for all the thoughts. Time for a brew...

Back