Permanently mounting IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeRage

Death by Magumba!
Reaction score
I am thinking about permanently mounting my copper IC inside of my keggle using some weldless bulkheads. Any one ever do this or is there any reason I shouldnt?

Well, what's the reason why you would do it?

It seems to me that I'd rather have less holes in my keggle, and that having the IC in there makes everything harder to clean.

the_bird said:
Yeah, it'll make cleaning the chiller and the keggle a total PITA, I would think. What's the perceived benefit?

Just cause I dont want to be lifting the thing in and out :). Figure it would make a nice clean installation as well. I've never done an AG so I dont know how much of a mess the hot break really makes but with extract a little oxyclean and a light pressure wash from the hose always seemed to work.

My main goal is to keep as little brewing equipment as possible floating around. SWMBO is a neat freak.

I would try it without mounting first since you haven't done a grain brew. You you then be able to determine if mounting is a good way to go. In the meantime just store your chiller in the keggle when you are finished brewing.

Virtuous said:
Just cause I dont want to be lifting the thing in and out :).
Of all the various parts of the brewing process, I REALLY don't think this one is enough of a hassle to warrant "fixing". It takes all of 2 seconds to drop the IC into the kettle, and about the same to lift it back out.

If you have it permanently mounted, the amount of extra time it will add to cleaning will be enough to make it a waste... And not only that, how would you be plumbing it - do you want tubing dangling off the side of your keg, or would you want it to be removable?

And that's not to speak of the expense and hassle of the bulkheads or whatever that you would need to use to actually mount the thing to the keggle.

I'm all for DIY projects, but I think you should seriously consider focusing your efforts on problems that are actually significant - this one just sounds like a solution waiting for a problem (no offense).

Plus you wouldnt be able to move it around so it would take longer to cool your wort.

SuperiorBrew said:
Plus you wouldnt be able to move it around so it would take longer to cool your wort.

I am using a march pump to whirlpool so that really isnt an issue.

Funkenjager said:
I'm all for DIY projects, but I think you should seriously consider focusing your efforts on problems that are actually significant - this one just sounds like a solution waiting for a problem (no offense).

You're right. I'll possibly save it for another day after a few brews to see if it still makes sense.

Back