Perlick/Vent Draft Towers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgian Novice2

Reaction score
Y'all know where to buy Perlick or Ventomatic forward sealing faucets that are already installed if I wanted to buy a couple of 2 tap Brass 3" towers? I see the towers but I am unsure of their faucets. Any gems of wisdom?

I'm pretty sure that if you order a tower from MoreBeer that they will allow you to upgrade to the forward sealing faucets.

Thanks for the advice, John. I sent an email to Morebeer to see if they would do that. I also came across another messageboard that the guy had asked them a year or so ago and they said that they didn't do that.

It appears that you can't buy a standard tower with the upgraded faucets. You have to buy the tower then buy the faucets seperate and then put them on yourself.

Anyone done this and, if so, have you run into any problems with changing them out such as wrong size or whatnot? Thanks. :)

Georgian Novice2 said:
Anyone done this and, if so, have you run into any problems with changing them out such as wrong size or whatnot? Thanks. :)
Northern Brewer is happy to swap out the faucets on their towers, and credit you the price of the originals. It's still pricey, they quoted me $187.70 for a tower with twin Ventmatics.

I bought a tower on eBay for $80 and two Ventmatics for $34 each, which threaded right on with no issues at all. A fellow forum member bought the original faucets from me, which actually were pretty nice...just not forward sealing.

Swapping faucets out is a breeze. I just installed mine (well, 2 faucets and all 4 shanks, since I can't afford any more faucets right now) - they're super simple to install. I don't think there IS a wrong size, unless you're dealing with some weird foreign sizes or something. I just put 4 SS shanks and 2 Shirrons onto my new tower from acumetalfab.com. There are photos of the install here, near the end of the list. Be sure, if you are, that you purchase a faucet wrench from wherever you buy your parts...

kvh

kvh said:
Be sure, if you are, that you purchase a faucet wrench from wherever you buy your parts...

kvh

I wanted to quote this portion of his post for emphasis, just incase you missed it. Make sure to get a faucet wrench. Many vendors sell them, but I got mine at Micromatic

MP-042.jpg

I'll take it a step further and say this: anyone who is running a system with faucents of any kind should own one of those wrenches. It's cheap as hell and the easiest way to tear down and reassemble the faucets without marring the finish.

And if you have a tapper system you should be familiar enough with it to tear it down to the ground and build it again. Otherwise you simply can't be sure you 're sanitary and you'll never be able to troubleshoot effecitvely once a problem develops.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it cost ya. :drunk:

Guys, thanks a lot for all the good information. I will do some calling around Monday to the various large places and get a few quotes. I will be eventually installing 2 dual tap brass towers on top of my bar. The bar will encase the GE 7.0 CF chest freezer I have and I am going to try to document the whole process, from build list, cutting, assembling, and whatnot so that others can improve upon the mistakes I will make for their own system.

Really appreciate the good advice.
JJ

Thanks, Bobby, appreciate it. I was thinking of leaving the back of the bar open so that there is that circulation. The front and sides would be enclosed but the back open.

Williams brewing sells draft towers without the faucets, then you can just add the faucets you want. Not much cheaper than getting one with the inexpensive faucets though.

Well, after consulting budget, and SWMBO, I went ahead and bought 2 towers from Beverage Factory off Ebay. Ebay is a wild thing, isn't it? Bought the same towers for $149 off them on Ebay when if I would have bought it from them from their regular website it would have cost $189 per tower. $80 savings overall.

Regardless, bought the towers and will start replacing the faucets one month at a time. This is what they come with:

Polished PVD Brass is Tarnish-Free
Polished Brass Faucets with Brass Levers
Two 5 Feet of 3/16" Clear Beer Tubing with Nozzle & Hex Nut Assembly
Connects to All Standard Keg Couplers
Mounting Gasket and Screws Included
[Model No. D4743DT-PVD]

Any issues with the connection to regular corny kegs? Adapters or different size connectors I will need to get before this will work? Thanks for the heads up. I will post pics after I get my bar/chest freezer shell built with the towers and the full set up on there.
JJ

Georgian Novice2 said:
Any issues with the connection to regular corny kegs? Adapters or different size connectors I will need to get before this will work?
Just snip the hose right at the coupler, and install a corny fitting with a small hose clamp. Heat the end of the hose with hot water, and you'll have an easier time inserting the barb on the new fitting. It's easy, and won't take you more than a couple of minutes.

Thanks, Blind, appreciate it greatly.

Anyone know the outer diameter of a 3/16" hose? Want to drill a tight fit through my collar. :)

Back