Perlick flow controls worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkanaganMike

Reaction score
Looking for some opinions and experience here.
Just bought a fridge converted to a single tap kegerator. I have a lot of "inventory" in bottles right now but will start a batch for the keg soon. My question is are the flow controls really worth the price tag? I want to expand to at least 4 faucets and researching the benefits of these little beauties.

I spoke with a tech at a beverage company here in Kelowna and he told me all we need at this elevation is 3/16" hose between the keg and faucet for a perfect pour.

Personally, I haven't found them to be worth it. In fact, I find them a little annoying, takes more time to pull them apart at cleaning time. Also, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, anytime I have had a foamy beer and messed with the flow control, I have not been able to get non-foamy beer.

For me personally, the one "pro" is that you can shut off flow to the faucet completely. This is beneficial for me when:

1. I am messing around inside my keezer and I don't want to accidentally bump the faucet handle with my elbow and dump beer (I have tall handles).

2. I have friends over and dont trust them to remember which faucet I told them not to use (because it's empty or the beer isn't carbed yet, etc).

I like mine a lot... You can practically run any line length and not matter. I also can fill growlers and even bottle quite easily by adjusting the flow control.

The initial foam when you start pouring is mostly because the faucet is warm, so the CO2 kicks out of suspension. I typically will pour the initial few ounces into a glass for myself and then start to bottle or fill growlers so there is little foam.

I tried running a 1-1/2ft bev-seal ultra line right into the faucet with a 2.75 vol cream ale... Was able to pour it just fine! So line length really doesn't matter. I have 5-6ft lines for my beers now, but don't really need it.

The only negative is you shouldn't really use ciders/sours on them... They do give off a sulfur smell when you do. Although, it seems to have gotten less over time and I really don't notice it much anymore... So maybe it's only when new.

I have the 650ss perlicks.

Love mine just ordered another one it will b dilivered today..I hated the stuck tap handles on my old cheap tap when I wouldn't have a beer for a couple days ..I also fill growlers so I just close the flow put the growler filler in and fill up with out haveing 2 mess with the regulator and the psi

Love mine just ordered another one it will b dilivered today..I hated the stuck tap handles on my old cheap tap when I wouldn't have a beer for a couple days ..I also fill growlers so I just close the flow put the growler filler in and fill up with out haveing 2 mess with the regulator and the psi

What do you mean "stuck". Could it be just a cleaning issue? I too will be doing growlers but haven't looked into how to fill them. I know it's a bit :off: but can you expand on the difference filling between the 2 types of faucets?

"Stuck" likely because the old taps were not forward-seal. As for growler filling, the flow control lets you turn the flow rate way down so you're not getting a fast, foamy pour into your growler.

What do you mean "stuck". Could it be just a cleaning issue? I too will be doing growlers but haven't looked into how to fill them. I know it's a bit :off: but can you expand on the difference filling between the 2 types of faucets?

Yes when it sits for a couple days not in use my first pour the tap handle is like stuck from the old beer (on the old crappie faucets)

Think you forgot the link. I've heard of the blichman beer gun if that's what you were thinking. I guess the $100 gun is cheaper than 4 perlicks @ $125 plus taxes or so each.

He's likely talking about the Perlick GT600 growler filler (google that to find retailers), about $10 or so here in US. Designed specifically to fit the 630ss and 650ss.

125$ each lol what? i think mine were 45 a pop.

Yeah well, welcome to the Canadian Peso. I can get the faucet for $99 here without the $23 shank. I can get it from the US, pay the exchange, shipping and then duty but it'll likely be even bloody more! :drunk::mad:

Yea i got mine for 49 bucks a piece and 11 for the growler filler ..can't beat it

When I get closer I may have to make a run for the border. Anyone know of any brewshops in Oroville or Omak WA.?
Found a down home brew supply place in Arlington but their site is down.

Freakin love mine. I have 5 on my upright keezer. Sometimes beers pour differently on different days (ambient & glass temp, etc.), and it is great to make some fine-tuning on the fly as the beer comes out of the tap. Highly recommended for the few extra dollars.

Love my 650SS. I mount directly to keg, don't use any beerline at all. I can pour perfectly fine.

Mind posting a picture of this? I mean, I'm pretty sure I know what it looks like - I want to see how well it works when you pour. Hows the carb level after pouring?

This could save me a good bit of trouble right now.

7SaNCUV.jpg

These were all poured from it:

qqCGUX4.jpg

ehQo9lh.jpg

kouXjFf.jpg

h3IL4An.jpg

It works great and I havent noticed any trouble dialing in carb levels.

How long do growlers or bottles stay carbed after filling them using the growler filler directly from the tap?

How long do growlers or bottles stay carbed after filling them using the growler filler directly from the tap?

I haven't really tested this. I have cracked one 2 days after using the perlick bottle filler, and it was fine. I haven't really gone more than 2 days as I am not purging with Co2 first or anything. Maybe someone can shed some more light, but I doubt they would stay good for more than 4-5 days (guessing)?

On Monday I put some silicone hose over the tap and filled a growler, it barely foamed at all and seemed pretty damn good. I'm confident in using it for weekend trips or bringing to parties and what not. But for actual bottling from keg I think I'm going to make one of those picnic tap / racking cane thingies.

I have 2 perlick 650ss and 2 perlick 425ss on my kegerator with 3' long 3/16" bevlex lines. I can pour anything without foam with the 650ss. The 425ss are relegated to stouts and lower carb ales. I am not sure what the fascination is with the 425ss but I have never used the 500 series.

Chris

Back