Perlick 4-tap Install Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuasha

Reaction score
Just bought this off Ebay. It has 4 taps, glycol cooling and even came with a Guinness tap. In the ad, it showed all the copper/stainless lines as uncut and straight. When they shipped it, the bastard cut the copper lines with wire cutters and tried to cut one of the stainless lines, only damaging it. Then they bent the stainless lines, thankfully not crimping them.

This will be mounted on top of my keezer, so the trimmed lines aren't a dealbreaker. I do, however, need to make the lines water tight. What's the acceptable method for doing this? Bubble flare tool? Simple hose clamps? Replace the metal lines somehow?

I can't find any internal diagrams of this thing either, when I search "Perlick Repair", all I get is for sale stuff. Anybody have a lead on anything?

normal_IMG_0771.JPG

normal_IMG_0772%7E0.JPG

normal_IMG_0773%7E0.JPG

I agree with day_trippr. For the top of a keezer, you can use a fan to blow cold air up into the tower to keep the beer lines cold. Ditch the glycol lines.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Does anybody have a diagram of the internals of these? They seem really common. I took the top off it and it's just expanded foam everywhere.

I would start by scraping out as much of the foam as you can and maybe use some thinner to dissolve whats left. I would imagine that they are just short shanks with locknuts on the inside to hold them in place.

Yeah, but what does the plumbing look like for the glycol? It's that kind of stuff that I'm looking for. Would it be worthwhile to just cut the stainless lines a bit shorter, rough them up a bit for friction, put new lines on there and clamp them? I have a nice recirculating cleaning pump so I'm not worried about that much.

And yeah, definitely putting in some new taps, I have two Perlicks on my old setup that will be transferred over.

Thanks for the help so far everybody.

I hope you got it cheap. You have enough justification for a 'not as advertised' get your money back situation.

Why is everybody so against glycol on here? I wouldn't think there's much difference between running a small tank in the fridge and wiring up a fan of some sort.

Does anybody have a diagram of the internals of these? They seem really common. I took the top off it and it's just expanded foam everywhere.

You'd need the model number for the specific unit because I'm not certain older models were set up the same as the current lot, which use a copper cooling block inside the "T". There's a possibility yours has a stainless steel block, a copper block, or the stainless tubing is wrapped around the base of each faucet in a serial fashion.

In any case, unless you foresee changing out that tower for another some day and you want to preserve the glycol loop towards that end for saleability reasons, I'd chuck it all, clean up the shell, and fit new parts, because working around the glycol fittings is likely going to be a pita...

Cheers!

Why is everybody so against glycol on here? I wouldn't think there's much difference between running a small tank in the fridge and wiring up a fan of some sort.

Nothing against glycol loops, but it'd verge on downright silly to run glycol to a tower mounted on top of a chest freezer.

Check that: it would be totally silly. And working around what looks like a beaten up chunk of metal tubing when it isn't necessary is a waste of energy, imo...

Cheers! ;)

Just bought this off Ebay. It has 4 taps, glycol cooling and even came with a Guinness tap. In the ad, it showed all the copper/stainless lines as uncut and straight. When they shipped it, the bastard cut the copper lines with wire cutters and tried to cut one of the stainless lines, only damaging it. Then they bent the stainless lines, thankfully not crimping them.

This will be mounted on top of my keezer, so the trimmed lines aren't a dealbreaker. I do, however, need to make the lines water tight. What's the acceptable method for doing this? Bubble flare tool? Simple hose clamps? Replace the metal lines somehow?

I can't find any internal diagrams of this thing either, when I search "Perlick Repair", all I get is for sale stuff. Anybody have a lead on anything?

normal_IMG_0771.JPG

normal_IMG_0772%7E0.JPG

normal_IMG_0773%7E0.JPG

I have a five tap tower. I put a reservoir of liquid in the bottom of the keezer and put a pump on it to cool through the copper lines. As for the stainless lines mine have a 3/16 barb on the end. I would cut the copper lines to make them straight and put some hose over them with a clamp. Not sure what to do with the damaged stainless lines. This is the best way to use these towers.

1402717995608.jpg

Back