Perle~it's everywhere, it's no where

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
A friend was putting in an order at Hops direct and asked if I wanted anything, so I ordered a pound of Perle. I felt like I had seen it in a ton of recipes and thought I'd give it a try. Now that I'm looking to stash 16 oz of the stuff into a couple of different batches, I'm not finding a whole lot.

What do you do with your Perle? Lager season is almost over for me so the majority really should go to Ale. I saw a few SNPA recipes, what else? Anyone ever use it in a porter?

You can use Perle in just about anything as a bittering hop. It has a smooth and pretty neutral character that will blend very well with other hops. Perle can be used for flavor and aroma as well if you like. It's clean and has a touch of minty-ness like Northern Brewer to which I believe it is related.

I used Perle for my California Common when my LHBS did not have Northern Brewer. I still have a minimum of 2 weeks before I can drink it, but from my sample at bottling the taste was very nice.

I like Perle, I've used it in a few recipes. Oatmeal Stout, Wit, Trippel, English IPA, English Barleywine. Mainly for bittering, but I used it as a substitute for Northern Brewer in Janet's Brown Ale from Brewing Classic Styles.

Perle, Amarillo and Cascade will make an IPA that can take the enamel off your teeth.

Dang, just ran out of Amarillo.

I just remembered I had an email from the brewer at Double Mountain about his kolsch (AWESOME). I was going to do one last spring then never got around to it.

Perle Kolsch and a Perle/Cascade pale it is!

i just ordered a lb of perle too, having never used it before. I'm going to do a 2.5 gal SMaSH with it (probably w/ munich or pils malt). I'm also going to do a Perle RIS. I got a couple brewing books from the library and flipped through to see recipies that use it. Also, this link is helpful

http://***********/resources/hops

Old thread, but I wanted to share my experiences.

I, too, bought a pound because it was so freakin' cheap.

Perle is a great hop to have around. It's typically middle-of-the-road in terms of AA (between 8 and 11) and has a flavor that can work in a variety of beers. It's also a nice, neutral bittering hop.

My Perle MO SMaSH was very good.
My darker beers (mostly porter) do well when bittered with Perle.
My Perle Cali-Common was very good, too.
Yooper's Dead Guy clone uses a significant amount of Perle.

I'm down to two ounces left. I'm not sure if I'll buy a bunch again, but I'll prob. use it again.

Back