Peppermint choclate stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on brewing this chocolate stout recipe in a few weeks. I was planning on making 1 gallon an orange chocolate stout using orange zest in secondary, but I don't see why you couldn't add some peppermint extract at bottling. Or you could find some mint leaves and make your own extract with some vodka and add that to secondary.

Good luck and let use know how whatever you do turns out!

Was going to make a 2 gallon batch
3lbs 20L
.5 lbs cara/pils
.5 lbs chocolate malt
.5 lbs roasted barley
.5 lbs Vienna Malt
1 oz magnum at 60
1 oz tettnang at 30
1 oz hallertauer at 10
.5 lbs of choclate at 10

I just kegged my chocolate milk stout, half of which is destined to become chocolate mint milk stout with the addition of extract.

I started testing the mint flavor by adding 1/4 tsp to a quart, and it was WAY too much. I'm cutting it down to about 1/4 tsp per gallon instead (1/4 for half a gallon is still a little too minty). Turns out it is really easy to overdo it. Too much mint really destroys the drinkability of the beer, so tread lightly.

I wouldn't use candies because extract would be easier to control. Store bought extract should only contain peppermint oil and alcohol, which is the best you could hope for by steeping leaves in vodka, but it will be much more consistent if you ever decide to do it again.

Back