Pepper Infusion success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sail681

Reaction score
Was making a Porter that we wanted to infuse with pepper. After scouring others' feedback on how they did it, I came up with a simple solution for my brew.

-5 gallons of Porter in the secondary
-no pepper added in the mash, boil or primary
-4.25 ounces of jalepeno and .25 ounces habanero
-sliced the peppers long ways into long strips (threw away the seeds). Put them in a small glass microwavable container. Covered the peppers in water. Cooked for 3 minutes to get the water boiling.
-transferred the warm pepper straight into the secondary, did not include the liquid (water)
-left peppers in the secondary for 10 days. Siphoned the beer from secondary to bottling bucket

..After 2 week of carbonating in the bottle, the product was successful. The peppers give the Porter a nice finish with a good soft bite. Will be interested to see if the pepper taste decreases over time in the bottle.
..Next time, I would likely do only 7 days of the peppers in secondary.

Hope this helps anyone considering Pepper infusion!

Nice...I have a co-worker who keeps begging me for a ghost pepper beer. Maybe I will pull 1/2 gallon off a batch and use something like your method to spice it up for him.

Back