Pellicle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBC

Well-Known Boozer!
Reaction score
So I brewed a Flanders Red between Xmas and New Years. I pitched white labs Belgian Sour Mix and some bottle dregs from @Brizzo HB sours.

When I checked it I was expecting to see a white pellicle, instead what I saw is posted below. Does it look like it’s fermenting just slowly? Should I try pitching another strain? Thanks.

92A26CFD-3F7F-4093-830D-ADC108B3DBEE.jpeg
1ECF82A7-B5CA-4B27-9DC0-29E7FAFD045C.jpeg

I can see that you do have a pellicle.
The lack of white color is absolutely nothing to worry about. A pellicle isn't any indication of fermentation progress.

Cheers
:mug:

those bubbles on the surface of the liquid = a pellicle. it's thin, just starting. i suspect that if you were to leave it undisturbed for a few months, it'll thicken up.

as mentioned above, a pellicle just means there is some O2 in there and that you have at least one active pellicle-forming microorganism in there. nothing else.

So the consensus is yes, it does look "infected!" Oh wait, that's every other forum.

Back