Pellicle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrgtr42

Reaction score
So I have a question,
This isn't my first rodeo, even in the sour areas. I have a recipe I made before, and redid it,
my numbers were pretty close, the brew day and primary fermentation went normal, then I racked over and pitched my bugs - Imperial Yeast Sour Batch Kids, plus dregs off a couple bottles I've had in between.
This was last September, and I am still not seeing a pellicle form. I have it sstored in my cellar, so it's roughly in the mid 50s. I think that's what the last batch was, roughly.
It seems to be souring OK, I didn't taste any last time, so I don't know the progressions.
I normally go by RDWHAHB, So I presume I'm OK doing that again?
TL/DR; my question is: Do I have to worry about a pellicle NOT developing on a sour beer?

I usually see them firm in the fall/winter, when the temps cool off and the liquid contracts.

No. Pellicle=o2 ingress
This is a myth popping up here and there but actually, from a scientific perspective, we do not really have a real clue what makes the organisms grow a pelicle. So either way, if it tastes like it should, it's good. That's what matters.

Back