Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8c5f8124-72cd-49f7-9826-260d5b40828c.jpg

Pellicle of a propagation made from dregs of
The Bruery Terreux Peach
Lindemans Cassis
Wild Saison from Real House

Flanders Red about 8 months old with Roeselare. The tongue had sunk and a new pellicle formed but now its floated back up to the top. I think it would of stayed where it was but i nudged it moving the demijohn.
DSC_2180.JPG

Forgot to take a photo before bottling my Flanders Red w/Tart Cherries in the secondary. Yeast used in the beer -Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Ale Blend.

Attachments

• IMG_8892.jpg
    IMG_8892.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 231
Good photos of extreme mold growth. The large folds give it away even though we can't see the fuzz in the photo.

^ Like the above photo, I only have ever seen this spaghetti-like pattern of pellicle on fermentation with wild microbes. Does this match everyone else's observations?

Here's a cider with "spontaneous" microbes, not native to the apples, but added from a starter:
24 hours after pitch
IMG_0706.JPG

48 hours after pitch
IMG_0709.JPG

Like the above photo, I only have ever seen this spaghetti-like pattern of pellicle on fermentation with wild microbes. Does this match everyone else's observations?

Yes, I see pellicles like that occasionally, only ever in places where they don't belong. The couple times I've sampled/packaged, I haven't noticed a problem. I usually dump though - I often see this sort of thing in harvested jars of yeast next to my sourdough starter. Now I'm more of a segregationist.

These are my first two aged sour beers, and I'm 99% sure both are pellicles. One is bubbly, whereas the other is flat. Both look like they are just getting started. I was hoping for a confirmation from some of the more experienced sour beer brewers on this forum.
Pellicle 1.jpg
Pellicle 2.jpg

These are my first two aged sour beers, and I'm 99% sure both are pellicles. One is bubbly, whereas the other is flat. Both look like they are just getting started. I was hoping for a confirmation from some of the more experienced sour beer brewers on this forum. View attachment 676634 View attachment 676635
Yup, pellicles! I wouldn't say they're just getting started; they look pretty extensive to me. ;)

Here's my most recent. A traditional (or as close as I can get) Berliner Weiss fermented with the Bootleg Biology Beta Berliner Blend. Brewed about a month ago, no signs of a pellicle before today.

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_165449365.jpg
    IMG_20200428_165449365.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 48
Hi

I'm new here so I thought I might show my pellicles

This one is a brett saison fermented with The Yeast Bay's Saison & Brettanomyces II blend and a few days ago I added the dregs from a Cantillon Kriek
7s1sCtd.jpg

And this one is a saison made with active wort from the other beer, so it's just TYB's Saison Brettanomyces II, oh and it has a mesh bag with some wood chips in it

KAAcS1j.jpg

I know, plastic buckets, eew, but due to space requirements it's what works better for me, I can only brew 1 gallon batches, I might get some glass carboys if I'm ever able to get them in that size (not really common where I live)

Lambic no boil fermented with wlp655. Racked with oak chips and WLP650.
DSC_2929.JPG

24 hours after I pitched wild yeast (and bacteria probably) that was cultivated from Dame's Rocket and Clover flowers that were placed in pre-acidified wort, it developed this.
IMG_1200[1].JPG

I pitched it into 3/4 of a gallon of extra wort from a different brew that was hopped to ~20 ibus.

Last edited:
This pellicle didn't show up until I dry-hopped, almost certainly after exposure to oxygen. Now 3 weeks in the fermenter, probably will bottle tomorrow. No known bacteria, only weird stuff is cultured dregs from a 3- year old bottle of Orval. I call this one "Orvali-ish."

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_103915438.jpg
    IMG_20200702_103915438.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 29
I think I got a new pellicle, this was a triple chocolate stout I saw here, I added the cocoa nibs after 1 day in whisky and when fermentation was still going, but I guess there was something in there that survived, it's bubbling so I will check the gravity and see if it has dropped

The texture looks a bit like lard, maybe from the fat of the cocoa? Anyway the nibs where adding some metallic taste to it (do nibs oxidize?) So maybe this will make it good, I will let it roll for a bit, the beer contains lactose so I will leave it for a while before bottling

LL4lqVR.jpg

I've been growing this mother for a few months. It has changed into this in the last month. I was worried it has morthed into something bad but after seeing the pictures on this thread I'm not as concerned. Does this look like a problem to the experienced sour brewer?
IMG_20200819_121912.jpg

F877C9D3-A100-46B2-9291-28F4F8330A6C.jpeg
Another unintentional infection. This one sat a while apparently the lid seal is not very air tight, once the active fermentation was done and I let it sit O2 moved in. Oh well. Small partigyle from big brew day.

Back