Pellicle or just lingering krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mammothkraken

Reaction score
I've got an oatmeal pale ale in primary on its 7th day and its got an interesting thin white film on it. Its similar looking to the layer that collects on top of krausen.
I've never had anything like this before that I can remember. The film appears to have yeast chunks or hop resins floating in it.
I wanted to keep it in primary until bottling but more I'm considering racking. Thoughts on what this is? What I should do?
See pics...

ForumRunner_20121118_135150.jpg

ForumRunner_20121118_135129.jpg

ForumRunner_20121118_135107.jpg

It looks like either yeast rafts or like the previous poster said some hop material. I wouldn't be too worried about it but just to be safe check it in a week.

7 days is fast for a pellicle to form from an infection. What yeast are you using?

Well the oily film could be from the hops I presume, if a large flameout addition was used. Seen it on a couple of my IPAs and APAs without being an infection. Actually on my RIS it's even more noticeable due to the black color.

But that being said, I see a lot of film, between the chunks…. Or maybe misinterpreting something. A little sharper/close up would be nice 

Looks like you've still got a bunch of CO2 coming out of solution. Could still be fermenting, but it's definitely not infected in those pictures.

Oh wait, it's day 7? Yea your beer is likely still fermenting- that's just CO2 being produced by the yeast.

Back