Pellet vs growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebat138

Reaction score
I was wondering... Does the ratio work like 1 ounce of pellet, is 1 ounce of fresh picked hops? thanx all... cant wait to harvest these puppies. :)

There is a lot of water content in fresh picked hops. You'll need to dry them first if you want consistency. They can be used wet, but it gets a little tricky to determine how much you have as the water weight will vary due to rain, humidity, and storage method and time between harvest and use.

I use my own hops as often as I can. After I dry them I use 1 oz of hops as the recipe calls for.

I have used wet hops to make beer, I don't know the ratio, but I decided about 2 oz wet hops from the bine to 1 oz dry. Made a great Pale Ale last summer. I figure I can make a unique beer ever time!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the water weight was 5 times the dry weight. When one of the commercial brew sites sells 'wet hops' (once a year), they suggest using 5 times whatever the recipe calls for. That is, recipe says 1 oz, use 5 oz of fresh hops.

My experience drying hops for storage, this rule of thumb seems true.

Thoughts???

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the water weight was 5 times the dry weight. When one of the commercial brew sites sells 'wet hops' (once a year), they suggest using 5 times whatever the recipe calls for. That is, recipe says 1 oz, use 5 oz of fresh hops.

My experience drying hops for storage, this rule of thumb seems true.

Thoughts???

That sounds about right to me, but it does vary quite a bit depending on how wet the wet hops are.

My experience with drying herbs tells me that 3x dry weight is far more accurate. It sounds more like someone wants you to use more of their product for some reason.

I've heard around 6X for wet. I know it was close to 5 after drying my hops last year. The year before it was close to 3, but I know I didn't dry enough.

Back