pellet hops, carpet store smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjr721

Reaction score
don't know if this is the appropriate forum or not, but to me all of the pellet hops that i have used seem to have the same carpet store like smell to me. i am sitting here drinking a local brewery ipa, and i can smell that same smell that i get when i open a package of pellet hops. i can taste it to. i have sampled many varieties of ipa's that are brewed locally, and i'm not sure if they use the same hop variety, but same aroma and smell, it's like i can tell they have dry hopped hop pellets. even the saaz hop pellets i just used, don't even smell close to the hop aroma from a pilsner urquell. is it pellets in general or what?

Ive never noticed if beers have pellets or cones in them, Im not even sure what to look for, but having opened many sealed bags of pellets and sticking my nose in to enjoy what comes out ive never noticed a carpet store smell (its the fresh rubber underlay right?)

I suspect you are a gifted Supertaster. Blessing in disguise.

well, i'm not so sure carpet store smell is the way to describe it, but i have noticed that some of the local brewed craft beers i have tried, especially ipa's, taste and smell just like a fresh bag of hop pellets, almost like they may have bottled too soon. i may purchase the same brand again and age it myself. these are bottle conditioned brews.

Back