Pellet Hops & Blichmann RipTide Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how well or how poor wort with pellet hops will go through a Blichmann RipTide pump?

I don’t put my boil hops in a bag or strainer, but I’m considering setting up a whirlpool for my immersion chiller. I run pretty wide (5/8” ID) tubing on either side of my pump. If I send wort through with pellet hops, do you think it’ll handle it?

Prost!

I haven't had any clogging problems, been using a Riptide for 2 years. I do use a mesh bag if I'm putting more than 6 oz in the boil kettle, but that is more about keeping hop material out of the fermenter, I don't think the pump would have any problems without a bag.

Been there, done that... so with the whirlpool cranking, pitched my 2 oz hop addition, and woomp! pump clogged and had to open everything up to clean it out. Now, if I'm going to let my hops swim free I stop the pump, swirl my addition around with a spoon, then restart the pump...

As long as you turn off your pump before adding hops and let them bloom and break apart for a minute or two then stir you shouldn't get a clogged pump.

I've been using the rip tide for over 2 years. Always use pellets and never use a bag, and even with NEIPAs I've never had a issue with the pump clogging. NOTE: The pump does come with a twist knob valve that will increase or decrease flow. If you have the pump throttled back, you may get a clog at the valve. But, simply opening the valve and then closing back the hops are pushed right through.

I've been using the rip tide for over 2 years. Always use pellets and never use a bag, and even with NEIPAs I've never had a issue with the pump clogging. NOTE: The pump does come with a twist knob valve that will increase or decrease flow. If you have the pump throttled back, you may get a clog at the valve. But, simply opening the valve and then closing back the hops are pushed right through.
different cause but I have had this valve clog and was unable to unclog it using these methods.
I use my riptide at the 3bbl brewhouse for rims re circulation and have had this valve clog numerous times with grain leading us to order a better false bottom. In the mean time I through a nylon mesh bag that been cut open,over my false bottom which works fairly well in preventing grain from getting through.

different cause but I have had this valve clog and was unable to unclog it using these methods.
I use my riptide at the 3bbl brewhouse for rims re circulation and have had this valve clog numerous times with grain leading us to order a better false bottom. In the mean time I through a nylon mesh bag that been cut open,over my false bottom which works fairly well in preventing grain from getting through.
Hmmm, yeah I can see where grain would be a different matter. Little more substantial than hop material.

I have the riptide for about 8 brews now and have had no issues with hop material. I was more worried about clogging the duda diesel plate chiller as I added both to my brewing at the same time and still no issue. I have used a hop basket, mesh bags, and also added pellets right in and all is good. Keep the flow at a medium to high volume of flow and all should be good.

Sounds good. I have one RipTide that I use to move wort around, then it’s tied up during cooling to recirc cooled water through my immersion chiller. I reckon I might get another one to whirlpool at the same time.

I’m also toying with the idea of directing the outlet into a strainer at some point during the whirlpool to collect the debris before transferring.

Back