pellet dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
i have an IPA fermenting right now and i plan to dry hop it in a couple week. my only prior experience with dry hopping was with whole leaf hops. all i have are pellet hops are they ok for dry hopping? muslin bag or no? will they dissolve like in the boil and fall out? thanks

With all these infection concerns, one should not be fearful of putting pellets in a bag and into the fermenter?

And again if we're talking about the secondary?

With all these infection concerns, one should not be fearful of putting pellets in a bag and into the fermenter?

And again if we're talking about the secondary?

Most infection concerns turn out to not be an infection and were caused by being too worried (and for good reason; we all want to make a good beer and fermentation can look and smell unusually funky).

Hops are used in beer, in part, for their antibiotic properties, so picking up an infection from hops is rare.

It is a good idea to sanitize the muslin bag first though. However, after fermentation, since yeast are the dominant life in beer and there's alcohol present, it's more difficult for other micro-organisms to survive and thrive.

I put my pellet hops in to a nylon paint strainer bag with a shot glass to weigh it down. I don't like to dry hop with leaf hops because they soak up too much wort.

Latest posts

Back