Pellet Dry Hop - Chlorophyll Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I've been getting a chlorophyll flavor when I dry hop with pellet hops. I get a nice aroma, but I feel like I can taste the hop particles from the pellets, even after substantial time in a cold keg. The past few batches I've only used an ounce for 5 days, so I don't think it's over-exposure.

I'm going to do some small batches to see if I can pin point the problem. But, anyone else have this issue? For my current batch, do you think gelatin would pull some of those particles out?

I usually use 3 oz when I dry hop a 5 gallon batch. I give it a week to 10 days cold crash and then transfer.
I am not getting what your are describing.

I dry hopped two different kegs about 3 weeks ago, a kolsch and a pale ale. I used one and two ounces each. The hop bag stayed in the keg for about 4 days. At first the flavor was too bitter and vegetal. I was not happy. Now, three weeks later this kolsch is great (and unkolsch like). Delicate, not too bitter but I get some of that hop flavor and aroma.

My point? Give it a few weeks it will change.

Well, it looks like gelatin did the trick. With the haze cleared, I get a nice fresh hop aroma and the flavor is extremely smooth. I think I'll be using whole hops to dry hop by next batch...

tagz said:
Well, it looks like gelatin did the trick. With the haze cleared, I get a nice fresh hop aroma and the flavor is extremely smooth. I think I'll be using whole hops to dry hop by next batch...

As far as i know gelatin does nothing to clear hop particles, you likely had some other proteins that were causing an off flavor that the gelatin was able to bind to and help settle out.

I have heard people argue both ways, but my experience is that gelatin clears hop haze (this is my second time using gelatin on a pale ale). I used whirlfloc in the boil; it was clear heading to the secondary. The sample tasted clean. After the pellet dry hop there was substantial haze and vegetal flavor. With gelatin, it is once more crystal clear and the off flavor is gone, leaving a bright, smooth hop presence.

tagz said:
I have heard people argue both ways, but my experience is that gelatin clears hop haze (this is my second time using gelatin on a pale ale). I used whirlfloc in the boil; it was clear heading to the secondary. The sample tasted clean. After the pellet dry hop there was substantial haze and vegetal flavor. With gelatin, it is once more crystal clear and the off flavor is gone, leaving a bright, smooth hop presence.

Interesting, I've got two beers on dry hops right now maybe Ill give gelatin a try in one. I guess I have heard that gelatin can strip some hop aroma so it stands to reason it would clear some hop haze in the process.

I do believe it stripped some flavor, but not on any level that would deter me from using it in the future. It actually helped balance things out nicely. Keep in mind though, I only used a teaspoon on the 3 gallons or so that remained. I've heard people using half or even an entire packet; that might strip flavor much more significantly.

Back