Pectin in Cranberry Juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzBeckersHB

Reaction score
I have a quick question, does pectin in cranberry juice affect yeast during fermentation? I was going to do a 3 gallon apple juice/ 2 gallon cranberry juice cider. The only other ingredient in the cranberry juice is asorbic acid, which I know is ok.
Thanks in advance, FBHB

No, pectin won't effect the yeast, but if you want, you can add a dose of pectic enzyme to break down the pectins; it helps to make for a clearer end product, but it's not a fining agent & should be used at the beginning of fermentation.
Regards, GF.

As stated, pectin is no issue other than clearing.

I see the acid being the issue. If you don't use enough healthy yeast, you may experience a stuck fermentation.

gratus fermentatio said:
No, pectin won't effect the yeast, but if you want, you can add a dose of pectic enzyme to break down the pectins; it helps to make for a clearer end product, but it's not a fining agent & should be used at the beginning of fermentation.
Regards, GF.

Thanks for the reply..

Got it.., decided to leave out the cranberry and go with spiced unfiltered cider from trader joes...

Got it.., decided to leave out the cranberry and go with spiced unfiltered cider from trader joes...

cool... good luck with it.

I wouldn't shy away from using cranberry. Just make sure it's juice and not cocktail. And be sure to use enough yeast and test the gravity if things appear to settle down. Also be prepared to add more yeast if that happens. I'd also stay away from ascorbic acid in general. It's vitamin C, but it can add unwanted tartness to ciders.

In case you care, there is a drink dubbed, "Skeeter Pee." It's naturally fermented lemon juice. You can read up on how they overcome the high acidic level to give you food for thought.

Latest posts

Back