Pectic Enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruteforce

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How necessary is pectic enzyme to final clarity? I'm happy enough using it, but don't want to waste money if it doesn't really have an impact.

It works. And it works really well. But it works when you add the enzyme before you pitch the yeast. But the real issue is how important to you is the clarity of the wine you make. If it's not important then skip the enzyme. If it IS important but you are skeptical of how effective the enzyme is why not prepare 2 one gallon buckets of a fruit juice - mango, pineapple, apple, berries. Add the enzyme to one bucket and none to the second the ferment both using an identical protocol and when you are ready to bottle compare each for clarity.

I use it for cider or if I'm adding a pectin-dense fruit like concord grapes to a beer. It's not 100% vital if you don't mind cloudiness, but if you value clarity, I highly recommend it.

Back