Pectic Enzyme In Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkuhl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made an acerglyn last month and after tasting it when primary finished, I decided it needed more so I added blueberries in secondary and really liked how it came out.

It didn't really clear well since I wasn't really planning to add fruit at the start, but I also liked the idea of adding fruit in secondary, because that means the yeast are at or near their alcohol tolerance and won't eat as much of the fruit sugars.

I was thinking of doing the acerglyn again, and with blueberries again, but I was curious about pectic enzyme this time around. From what I understand, pectic enzyme doesn't work well with a high alcohol content? Would there be another approach, like maybe pureeing the blueberries, putting in some enzyme and letting it sit for a while before being pasteurized and added to secondary?

What are your thoughts on this?

Pectic Enzyme works for me in secondary. Takes a little more time. Typically 3 to 5 days.

Buut the pectin haze is pretty light as I have settled on only adding fruit to secondary and never puree, mash or even squeeze the fruit bag as the pectin is more essily released when you do so.

Im not sure if the approach you mentioned would work but sounds reasonable.

Back