Pectic enzyme in a braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbum007

Reaction score
I brewed a cranberry braggot last weekend. I used 6 lbs of orange blossom honey and 2lbs of rehydrated cranberrys. The cranberrys were added 7 min before flame out and I added the honey after flame out with the wort temp around 160 F. I stirred it and let it set for about 10-15 min and then began the cooling process. I added yeast nutrient and then champange yeast but did not have any pectic enzyme to add at that time (recipe called for it). Fermentation has been great but the wort is really cloudy and on Thursday I picked up some petic enzyme (beer store in a different city and I waited until I was headed down there to pick some up). I added 1 tsp yesterday and have not noticed much difference in around 16 hours. I was wondering how long the enzyme would take to start to notice a difference. Also, I plan on leaving it in the primary 3 to 4 weeks, depending on when it hits FG and then at least 1.5 months in a secondary. Is there anything else I can do to help with the cloudyness? I've not done a braggot before and if this is normal, let me know.
Thanks,
Kurt

You could always add gelatin to the secondary, that would help. Cold crashing it would help as well.

Just to be warned, meads usually need more like 12-24 months to age. You could also filter before bottling.

Gedvondur

Back