Pears in an apple and pear cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
I'm making an apple cider using a kit that's been gathering dust as the base for cider, then throwing some pears in the mix too. Previously I've just added blended tinned pears into the cider, and it's came out well.

So what's the advantage of racking onto pears after the primary apple fermentation is complete? What does it mean exactly - hahah.

How many pears, roughly, can I add to give a pear undertone? Fresh or tinned? Primary or secondary? Just gathering ideas...

I have done this on a few different batches. I started a 3 gallon batch of apple cider and added a dozen chopped up pears to the mix in the primary. I will usually leave it sit on the fruit for about 2 weeks before I rack it off to a secondary and will add more pears at this time. I will do this several times. It really will add a decent amount of pear flavor overall. It will also increase the alcohol levels due to the sugars in the fruit. It may not be the best way of doing things, but the alternative of trying to buy pear juice either fresh, bottled or as a concentrate seems to be near impossible in this country. Gerber baby juice is about the only thing available and it would cost a huge amount to fill a carboy with the stuff. Keep adding the fruit over time and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Latest posts

Back