pear cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR-GRN

Reaction score
I'm at "the Stags Head" in Manhattan (on 51st, off 2nd ave), had a blonde ale, then a pilsner, but then I ordered a pear cider. Holy smokes! It's really freaking good, almost like hard apple cider, except it's fairly clear in color, with a greenish hue, and sweeter by a factor of 1.5x. All I can say is man, I'm going to Be making this one!!
Also they are growing hops up on their open roof dining area, which IMHO is pretty cool - "Golden" hops according to the waitress, which to me says they are probably sunbeam or some ornamental variety, still pretty cool stuff, and the pear cider is awesome!

Perry, is the term used to define Pear cider. There are very few national brands of perry but they are wonderful when you can find them.

I had some pear cider from Original Sin at Brew Woo this past weekend and really enjoyed it. Might try to press some this fall...

Perry, cool I'll remember that, so the brand is Doc's - I had to come back and have some more. Update on their hops, I talked to the person who planted them and HER intention is to use the flowers as garnish on IPA's they serve, not a bad idea. No, she is not a homebrewer :-( so I'm not popping the question or anything; the hops have grown about 2 feet or better since I was here yesterday, so they are pretty happy! We talked hops for a while, it's pretty cool to meet someone who wants to improve the atmosphere at a bar with bar type items that aren't tacky IMHO.

I had some once about two years ago. It was great. Wish i could find it again.

I made some last winter. 5 gallons worth and I'm on the last bottle. Everyone that's tried it has been really impressed. I used champagne yeast but didn't take any sg readings so I'm not sure what the abv was but it sure had a kick.

Would you be willing to share the recipe and yeast strain info? I want to give it a whirl, but don't really know where to begin.

Pear juice and yeast. Nottingham will do.

If it's anything like hard cider, making it sweet will be the tricky part.
Do you have a keg setup?

Back