Peanut Butter Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado68

Reaction score
Getting ready to try something different and add PB2 to a stout for a peanut butter stout.
5 G batch and looking for suggestions on how much to use. My initial thoughts are to just try 8 oz. At flame out. Will that be enough or too much? Should it be added to secondary?
looking for prominent peanut butter flavor.
thanks

I think you are gonna need more then that i used 8 oz of pb2 in a stout and the pb was so minor if i didnt tell you it was in there you would have never known it.

When i brewed with it, I used 1 6.5oz container at flameout. I then added 1 dram of Lorann peanut butter flavoring and another 6.5oz of PB2 in a sanitized muslin sack to the secondary and steeped for 4 days.

I didn't care for it much, but my friends loved it. I found one in the back of my fridge and after aging for 8 months and it was great. Age was the key IMO.

Depends on what you're after. If you want it to be distinctly peanut buttery, you'll need more pb2 and possibly some flavoring, depending on how much you want "peanut butter" or "roasted peanut." Also, take note that the pb flavor will decline with age. Many people looking for a lot of this flavor prefer to drink it fairly green.

In my instance, I found the peanut butter to be more pronounced and better rounded in the overall beer after some age. Then again, it was a pretty big beer. At first, all you tasted was the alcohol.

One of my local brewery made a peanut butter brown and they added the peanut butter to the fermentation chamber, throwing and slathering it to the sides of the 20 barrel vessel. It tasted great.

Brewed this yesterday and used 3 jars of the PB2 at 15 min.
Thanks for the advice, we'll see how it turns out in a month or so.

Brewed this yesterday and used 3 jars of the PB2 at 15 min.
Thanks for the advice, we'll see how it turns out in a month or so.

Well, after a month or more the fg has stayed the same 1.030 from a 1.066. Bottled it today. Very toffey and chocolate carmel arromas but not much PB. Will take a couple weeks to bottle carb and report ba k then. Ended up using 3 cans of the pb2 at fo. Racked after a week anx ket stand for the last +month at 60 degrees.
will see how this turns out I. A few weeks.

That finished pretty high. It sounds to me that the malt overpowers the peanut butter due to the high FG. I'm all down for experimentation and finding what you like, but i'd really like to see this down to about a 1.015 and 1.020. You can always make it dry and add sweetness in some lactose or malto form to taste. That way your PB flavor may shine through while maintaining your sweetness.

I dont think I could drink a beer thats 1.030 FG, even if its a sweet stout. To me, thats like something to pour over an ice cream sunday

Unless your recipe had an incredible amount of unfermentables, Im nto sure that it was done fermenting...

I dont think I could drink a beer thats 1.030 FG, even if its a sweet stout. To me, thats like something to pour over an ice cream sunday

Unless your recipe had an incredible amount of unfermentables, Im nto sure that it was done fermenting...

Yes, there were 2 lbs of laxtose and a pound of flaked oats that contributed to unfermentables.
I'll post the recipe soon. It's not as sweet as you might think, likely the hops additions helped ballance it out.
Giving it another week before opening a bottle to check carbonation.
Was hoping for much more peanut butter aroma or flavor to come through. Work in progress and sharing results. :)

Just as an interesting point for this topic, to get past the "roasted peanut" flavor of the PB2 and to get more "peanut butter" flavor, I have seen people had peanut butter cereals like peanut butter crunch or Reese's puff cereal to their mash and/or secondary. Supposedly it works great. It is actually on the docket for one of my next beers.

I brewed an 8% PB stout a couple weeks ago. Its sitting in secondary at the moment. Racked onto 1 pound of PB2 powder and some unsweetened cocoa powder for a week and just added 3 oz of cocoa nibs and it will sit another week before i keg. Smelled like peanut butter when I opened the fermentor to add the nibs. cant wait to taste this.

Perhaps my favorite brewery in all of Minneapolis -- Dangerous Man Brewing -- makes the best porters and stouts I've ever tasted. Huge, huge flavors. Used to live three blocks from the tap room.

Peanut Butter Porter
Chocolate Milk Stout
Coconut Milk Stout
Hazelnut Porter
Pecan Porter

If you guys make it into Minneapolis sometime, make that your destination brewery!

Just as an interesting point for this topic, to get past the "roasted peanut" flavor of the PB2 and to get more "peanut butter" flavor, I have seen people had peanut butter cereals like peanut butter crunch or Reese's puff cereal to their mash and/or secondary. Supposedly it works great. It is actually on the docket for one of my next beers.

I know this post is a bit old but in case lurkers stumble across it....

I actually tried this out myself last year. I dry hopped the keg with Reeses cereal and the results were pretty good. Way more PB flavor than I got from using PB2. And FWIW never add PB2 to the keg unless you want to dump the beer. Theres an old post around here somewhere where someone said it worked well so I tried it out. Never again!

Use caution when steeping cereal after the boil. I had a batch go lacto because of some captain crunch berries. Lucky for me, the end result was delicious.

Back