Peanut butter powder in secondary - stir in our leave alone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schiben

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just transferred a Midwest Brewing Peanut Butter Cup Stout to the secondary fermenter. I added the cocoa nibs and about 14oz of peanut butter powder. It's just sitting in the bottom right now. Will it incorporate more on its own? Should I try to stir it in?

Thoughts?

How'd you sterilize the PB powder?

Uh oh...I didn't. The kit directions didn't mention anything special. I sterilized the equipment to put it in the carboy. It was a brand new bottle of powder.

Uh oh...I didn't. The kit directions didn't mention anything special. I sterilized the equipment to put it in the carboy. It was a brand new bottle of powder.

I haven't brewed with a powder like that.. but I think it's debatable if sanitizing it is needed. There are other threads on here where people have poured the powder directly into the fermenter with no issues. If you are concerned, I would ask Midwest. If there is an issue, they would certainly know about it.

Your fine don't worry, I have used the powder in beers before I just leave it I do not stir

Yeah, I asked for a reason. I had a batch that was the absolute worst infected batch of my life. You know how sometimes you wonder if you've got an infection from a weird taste or smell ... yeah this tasted and smelled like I imagine a yeti's taint would.

From that batch on, I put the peanut butter powder in the last 5 mins of the boil.

I will clarify what powder I used. Mine was PB2 powder bought off Amazon. There may be a difference in the kit stuff vs what I used. I dunno.

You'll be fine not sterilizing. Just did more or less the same beer and was fine. If it's higher ABV that alcohol would more or less protect it.
I gentled stirred mine to incorporate it and racked on top of the PB2

How long do you plan to let it sit on PB2?

I did two total weeks. After one week the flavor was minimal so I gently stirred again and that second week of contact time really made the difference. Fantastic Peanut Butter flavor shined through!

I haven't brewed with a powder like that.. but I think it's debatable if sanitizing it is needed. There are other threads on here where people have poured the powder directly into the fermenter with no issues. If you are concerned, I would ask Midwest. If there is an issue, they would certainly know about it.

I do enjoy these threads where theres folks from both sides of the aisle blindly stating their point without any regard to what other folks have said that contradicts them 100%. Theres a bunch of people who say "no sterilization needed ... I've done it before without worry". Then on the other hand, theres Yeti Taint.

I'm not here to perpetuate the myth (or fact) of how much rat and mouse parts are allowed per million in peanut products. Just asking that folks consider the experience of others as well as use common sense.

Where can nasty things grow? They can grow in areas where theres food, in certain temperature ranges, and in areas without other harsh environments.

Peanut butter powder fits the bill for all those requirements. Did the manufacturer sterilize and package it as so for you? If not, what do you risk by sterilizing it yourself.

Am I saying that every batch is infected and will ruin you ... absolutely not. Theres obvious success without any extra effort. At what risk though. Maybe it's a slim margin. We all take so many precautions to make sure we dont get infections, yet with some of these added adjuncts, we totally ignore the fact that were throwing in an unknown product, into a temperature rich environment, full of sugar for it to eat.

Am I wrong here?

Back