Peanut Butter Porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
SWMBO wants a "peanut butter porter". I couldn't quite find a tried-and-true recipe for a peanut butter porter/stout without chocolate so I had to come up with my own.

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 6.4%
IBU (tinseth): 40.6
SRM (morey): 34.5

FERMENTABLES:
8.5 lb - Pale 2-Row (60.7%)
1.5 lb - Rolled Oats (10.7%)
1 lb - Crystal 60L (7.1%)
1 lb - Munich Light (7.1%)
1 lb - Lactose (7.1%)
0.5 lb - Chocolate Wheat (3.6%)
0.25 lb - Chocolate (1.8%)
0.25 lb - Roasted Barley (1.8%)

HOPS:
Magnum and/or Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes to target 40 IBU

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
4 oz - Brewer's Best Peanut Butter Flavoring, Use: Bottling

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Fermentation Temp: 70 F

PRIMING:
CO2 Level: 2.4 Volumes

Oats are intended to help simulate a mouthfeel more along the lines of peanut butter.
I'm using added flavoring rather than messing around with peanuts/ peanut butter/ PB2/ Cap'n Crunch.

Couple things:
1. This will be my first time using my 10-gal igloo mash tun (with a 12" mash screen and 1/2" fittings). Batch sparge. I am concerned about the use of oats -- I'm thinking I need a beta-glucan rest. Better safe than sorry? Does the rest actually reduce the benefit of using oats to achieve a silky mouthfeel?
2. I'm not convinced the lactose is necessary, would you use it in this beer?
3. Everything else look OK?

Thanks!

Edit: I found this on Reddit. I think it's fairly close to my bill.

Last edited:
I help out brewing with a commercial brewery sometimes, they just released a really great chocolate peanut butter stout. I'm not sure about the grain bill (I wasn't brewing with them that day), but I know they conditioned it for a month or two and then added peanut butter powder and chocolate syrup a few days before kegging. It came out excellent so you might want to try adding that to your brew

I don't think you'll need to do anything special with 10% oats. Ive used oats many times with no problems. As far as peanut butter flavor, I've heard breweries can use powdered peanut butter. Costco carries it. I have been tempted to do one myself.

Thanks for replies!
I'll just go ahead with the single infusion mash & hope for the best.

I did read a lot of suggestions to use PB2 (deoiled peanut flour). However the people that used it repeatedly report
1. less than desirable flavor contribution (too little flavor & more like peanut rather than peanut butter),
2. excessive trub,
3. infections,
4. poor head retention,
5. it's expensive.

On the other hand everyone that used this brand of flavoring loved it. Also FWIW Deschutes uses peanut butter flavoring in their Sweet Baby Jesus.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
I've made a couple Peanut Butter stouts/porters. Grainbill looks good, I like the lactose in there.

I used both Lorann's Oil and Brewer's Best Peanut Butter extract(both 4 oz bottles) and preferred the Lorann's Oil.

I never used PB2, personally I don't like the flavor of PB2 when mixing it with water per the instructions, or in shakes. So I've never added it to my beer.

Brew your favorite sweet or oatmeal stout and add the PB extract to keg or at packaging and you and your wife should enjoy it!

Finally brewed this a couple days ago.
Only minor issue with sparge getting stuck; I rocked the mash tun around a bit and it started flowing again.
Tasted and smelled very dark chocolatey coming out of the mash tun.
Hit 1.069 OG. Ended up using Imperial Darkness yeast and a 1L starter. I have it at 64F right now.

Let us know how it turns out--I would like to take that recipe and split it into 1 gallon mini batches to try different flavors.

Truth is... I don't like Stouts/Porters.
That said, I think it came out really well.
It has a silky mouthfeel and strong dark chocolate with some roasty flavor without being bitter or astringent.
Darkness was a powerhouse and reached 81% apparent attenuation (corrected for lactose).

I put together some samples for my wife:
Original, Peanut Butter (Brewer's Best flavoring), and Blackberry (BrewMaster natural flavoring).
For PB she ended up picking the sample with the equivalent of 2oz/5.5 gal.
For the Blackberry she picked 1oz/5.5 gal.

So I'm going to bottle 1 gal of original, 1 gal of blackberry, and 3.5 gal of PB.

Back