Peanut Butter Chocolate Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby Karnes

Reaction score
I want to make a peanut butter chocolate milk stout for the wife. I am using NB chocolate milk stout and want to add PB 2 powder. When do I add it? Boil? Primary? Thoughts? Thanks.

While I haven't used PB2 yet, most recipes I've seen that call for it, say to add it at the end of boil (like 5 minutes remaining) like you would with cocoa powder or other spices. I've also heard it takes a lot of the powder to get actual peanut butter flavor to come through.

If you add it to primary or secondary, it'll probably just clump up and not really integrate well into the beer.

I used 2 full lbs in a 10 gallon batch of chocolate peanutbutter stout. Can hardly tell it's in there. I put it in at day 10 and left till day 21 at 70 degrees.

Next time I'll put it in the boil

Thanks for responses. I will use it in boil. A few pounds and see how it works. Im relatively new. Maybe 10 brews and had some serious fails but the latest Oktoberfest turned out great and my peach fruit stand with 10 lbs of fresh peaches has received great feedback. :cask:

When you do it report back and let us know how it works out. I'm going to be making the same probably next month.

From my research the majority that used the peanut butter powder was not happy with the results. I ended up getting some Brewers Best Peanut Butter extract, just have to figure out how much of the 4oz to use in a 5g batch.

Had to hold off due to some other things going on. Hoping this week is the week. My wife is impatiently waiting.

15799985969632662624244745614437.jpg
Finally back after broken ribs and numerous setbacks but my chocolate peanut butter milk stout its complete, bottled, conditioned and pb2 worked fantastic. Milky, peanutty on front and the nibs called for + extras make for a nice dark chocolate on the backend! Love it and so does too. Shes a dark chocolate fan so she really liked the extra punch of the near double nibs!

Back