Peanut Butter Capn Crunch Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
After seeing Spartan1979's post today about a Reese's Puffs beer, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/iron-brewer-reeses-puffs-295757/, I've decided to branch out and do a stout with Peanut Butter Capn Crunch. I'll be brewing this weekend and I'm committed to this experiment. Please check out the recipe I've got so far and let me know if you have any suggestions.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.37 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.22 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.22 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.61 %
0.80 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 48.4 IBU
*4.2 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 1.68 % -This is the sugar content of a regular sized box of PBCC. I'm not sure if the sugar content or total carbohydrate content is the right value to use for the addition of fuel for the beer. I used the sugar content. I plan on adding this to the mash.
2 packages of Notty
Est Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.14 %
Bitterness: 47.8 IBU
Est Color: 42.9 SRM

It may be too roasty to allow the PBCC to come through but at least I should have a good stout if not. Please dissect and let me know what you think.

EllisTX said:
After seeing Spartan1979's post today about a Reese's Puffs beer, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/iron-brewer-reeses-puffs-295757/, I've decided to branch out and do a stout with Peanut Butter Capn Crunch. I'll be brewing this weekend and I'm committed to this experiment. Please check out the recipe I've got so far and let me know if you have any suggestions.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.37 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.22 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.22 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.61 %
0.80 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 48.4 IBU
*4.2 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 1.68 % -This is the sugar content of a regular sized box of PBCC. I'm not sure if the sugar content or total carbohydrate content is the right value to use for the addition of fuel for the beer. I used the sugar content. I plan on adding this to the mash.
2 packages of Notty
Est Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.14 %
Bitterness: 47.8 IBU
Est Color: 42.9 SRM

It may be too roasty to allow the PBCC to come through but at least I should have a good stout if not. Please dissect and let me know what you think.

That sounds interesting, but I would try a single grain beer for the experiment to see if the c. Crunch comes out.

That would be the reasonable thing to do. Reasonable is not what I'm going for though. A stout is on the brew calendar and a stout it is. I'm thinking about maybe doubling the cereal though to assure some sort of flavor addition.

I'm not looking for a PBCC beer as much as a stout with the subtle peanut butter cereal flavor in combination with the other flavors of the stout.

I have a suggestion:

Do not mash your black barley, chocolate, or black patent malts. Mash other grains and 1 box of cereal as normal. Before you mash out or sparge add your reserved crushed grains to your mash and sparge as normal. You will get all the color you need without all of the astringent, harsh flavors from mashing the highly kilned malts.

I would then add the 2nd box of cereal to your boil about 30 min out. The cereal will disolve and you can leave the minimal trub in the brewpot. I have made a popcorn lager this way and it I can really taste the popcorn in the finished product. Just my 2 cents, do whatever makes you happy.

I have a suggestion:

Do not mash your black barley, chocolate, or black patent malts. Mash other grains and 1 box of cereal as normal. Before you mash out or sparge add your reserved crushed grains to your mash and sparge as normal. You will get all the color you need without all of the astringent, harsh flavors from mashing the highly kilned malts.

I would then add the 2nd box of cereal to your boil about 30 min out. The cereal will disolve and you can leave the minimal trub in the brewpot. I have made a popcorn lager this way and it I can really taste the popcorn in the finished product. Just my 2 cents, do whatever makes you happy.

Thanks for the advice. I BIAB so what I may do is add the dark grains at the end of the sac rest before I heat up to mash out. Hopefully that will give me all the color and a bit softer roast from them.

That sound like a great plan. Please keep us posted on how it turns out. I'm in the process of formulating a recipe for a lightly hopped frosted flakes pilsner.

And so it begins...

Franklin-20120122-00088.jpg

I have no valuable input but as a huge fan of beer and an even bigger fan of the Captain, I can't wait to hear about the results.

It's in the fermenter. A few weeks from now we'll see if the Capn came through. The cereal from the boil didn't really settle out at all and a lot of it was transfered to primary but that won't be a problem. I'll post again when I can get a taste post fermentation.

I took a sample last Friday and today. Both samples were at 1.028. I pitched 2 packs of rehydrated Notty. Initial fermentation was at 64.4. I raised it to 67 on Saturday. I'm sure the answer is rdwhahb. If it doesn't attenuate any further I'm afraid I'll have a cloyingly sweet stout on my hands. Any suggestions?

By the way. No PBCC at the front end but about 15-30 seconds after a sample the PBCC cereal flavor is noticeable.

Well, this is one experiment that didn't work out. Not only did the yeast crap out at almost 10 points higher that calculated, the final product has a bit of a metallic taste to the finish. Most importantly, I get zero of the Cap'n in the finish. Back to the drawing board. I think I'll go with the dried peanut butter product that I've read about next time I try a peanut butter beer.

Back