Peach wine question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
Got a 3 gallon batch of peach wine sitting/working since 9/20 started at 1.085 s.g. it's still working a bit...I usually let my wines ferment out till the yeast is done resulting in wines that shall we say "pack a punch"...but are dry and lack alot of the fruity flavor that's there to start with.
This stuff tastes absolutely fantastic(had a swig when starting to rack from primary bucket to carboy)
I wanna catch this batch "mid swing" and stop what's left of the ferment and capture more of the sweet fruity flavor yet with a good amount of alcohol(as homemade country wines should have). I do have the stabilizers potasium meta...and sorbate. When should I add them ?
I've made a good number of batches of very good/potent wines in the past with great results but without stopping the fermentation,I also don't want a thick schnappy(spl?) taste/texture. I don't wanna sound stupid here....but this one I'm not sure of......
I've had great experiences with the info.I've gotten from the members here in the past,I'm anxious to see what comes of this-Thanks in advance,Shane.

Well, most people haven't been sucessful in stopping an active fermentation once it's going. Usually, fermentation is allowed to finish, and then the wine is sweetened (after stabilizing) to taste.

Next time, you may want to start with a lower SG, allow it to finish, and then stabilize and sweeten. That would probably be more in line with what you're looking for.

If you really want to try to stop this fermentation, the first thing to do would to be get the wine very cold. Like 30 degrees. Hold it there for a month or so, then rack and stabilize with the campden and sorbate. It might work.

I've read a few things since bumping my post and that's what i figured also....
Also that starting with a different yeast that may finish sooner (at lower abv) might work too. Thanks again. Shane

Back