Peach Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwenger11

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I still consider myself a rookie homebrewer, only brewed 2 batches so far. I would like to brew a peach wheat beer for the summer with real peaches. Any good recipes out there?? If so please share!

First off, Congrats & welcome to homebrewing! :)

I've not heard of or tried a peach wheat beer, but it does sound tasty! I've not brewed one, but I have brewed several American Wheat beers. Hopefully some more experienced brewers will chime in, but I thought I'd give a few thoughts on where to start.

You did not mention if you are brewing all-grain or extract. Also, are you thinking of a clean American Wheat beer, or something more akin to the German Bavarian beers with clove/banana esters in there too?

I usually envision fruit wheat beers as American Wheats, as it leaves more room to enjoy the fruit contribution without the competing flavors of the hefeweizen yeast.

So, as a starting point.. check out some of the other fruit type wheats on the recipe boards. Many folks will brew the American wheat beer, and then add the fruit after primary fermentation or during the secondary... and usually about 1-2 lbs of well macerated fruit per gallon of beer.

My American Wheat is usually started as:
57% Pale Malt
37% Wheat
6% Crystal 10-15L
18-22 IBU of clean bittering hops
Neutral ale yeast (WLP001, US05, Nottingham)

I would also suggest to forgoe any late kettle hops, and just let the peach fruit flavor/aroma come thru. If you really felt that you needed some hoppiness, make sure it blends well with the peach idea... maybe some very light floral noble hops like East Kent Goldings or Hallertau...

Hope that gives you some initial ideas... check out those other recipes out there, and just substitue their 'blueberry' or 'raspberry' for your 'peach' and keep good notes so you can improve it over time!

Good luck,
--LexusChris

I have been thinking of something along this line as well. I actually bought a variety pack of blue moon to try the farmhouse red saison/flanders and was really impressed with their early season release called first peach ale. The peach was a bit over the top but I think that was because they probably added artificial flavoring.

I think if you were to brew a typical american wheat by searching out recipes on here and then secondary over fresh ripe peaches you could really have something tasty.

First off, Congrats & welcome to homebrewing! :)

I've not heard of or tried a peach wheat beer, but it does sound tasty! I've not brewed one, but I have brewed several American Wheat beers. Hopefully some more experienced brewers will chime in, but I thought I'd give a few thoughts on where to start.

You did not mention if you are brewing all-grain or extract. Also, are you thinking of a clean American Wheat beer, or something more akin to the German Bavarian beers with clove/banana esters in there too?

I usually envision fruit wheat beers as American Wheats, as it leaves more room to enjoy the fruit contribution without the competing flavors of the hefeweizen yeast.

So, as a starting point.. check out some of the other fruit type wheats on the recipe boards. Many folks will brew the American wheat beer, and then add the fruit after primary fermentation or during the secondary... and usually about 1-2 lbs of well macerated fruit per gallon of beer.

My American Wheat is usually started as:
57% Pale Malt
37% Wheat
6% Crystal 10-15L
18-22 IBU of clean bittering hops
Neutral ale yeast (WLP001, US05, Nottingham)

I would also suggest to forgoe any late kettle hops, and just let the peach fruit flavor/aroma come thru. If you really felt that you needed some hoppiness, make sure it blends well with the peach idea... maybe some very light floral noble hops like East Kent Goldings or Hallertau...

Hope that gives you some initial ideas... check out those other recipes out there, and just substitue their 'blueberry' or 'raspberry' for your 'peach' and keep good notes so you can improve it over time!

Good luck,
--LexusChris

I agree. Try the goldings, maybe even the whitbread variety. And go with 2 pounds of peaches if you are really looking to let them drive with the wheat taking a backseat.

I have a very simple American wheat base that I make with watermelon juice every summer, and I have done it with peach and apricot as well. I have brewed it extract, PM, and all grain and it always turns out well. I agree with Lexus, for the fruit to come through I prefer a very neutral base beer so it's not competing with yeast flavors, hops, etc.

For 5.25 gal
- Grainbill:
50/50 2 row and white wheat to hit 1.050-1.052
If extract would be about about 6 lbs wheat DME for 5.25 gal
- Hops:
Something noble at 60 for about 20 IBU's, then .75-1.0 oz of the same at 1 min (I usually use Hallertau or Perle).
- Wyeast 1010 (have also used chico strains but I like the 1010 best)
-Fruit: I add the juice directly to the keg after primary fermentation is over. For peach and apricot I've only done the purees (I did 2 cans or 6 lb per 5 gal for a week in secondary and that seemed about right).

Here is an article about adding fruit or there should be lots of threads around on how best to add the fresh fruit.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back