Peach or Pear Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericbw

Reaction score
I'm about to start a quick and cheap batch of cider for the summer. Our usual method is to us two gallons of cider from an orchard (we do it in the fall), let it ferment out dry, then backsweeten with another gallon of fresh cider. This ends up with a moderately sweet cider at about 5% ABV. We carbonate in the keg.

For this batch, I'm using supermarket apple juice that I will ferment dry, and then I want to backsweeten with another kind of juice - peach or pear. The problem I'm having is finding peach or pear juice. Does anyone know of a brand or source of real fruit juice that's peach or pear? Most of the fruit juices on the shelves are a juice drink with "natural flavors," including one that said "100% fruit juice" on the front. Many of them also have preservatives, which is ok since it goes in after fermentation (in fact, it's probably a bonus).

I'm planning to use leftover US-05 slurry from a blonde that finished 2 weeks ago. I think that yeast will get started fast. I can control temps somewhat, and I'll keep it cool at the beginning.

(I really liked the results from the White Labs cider yeast, but it is a little slow and makes quite a bit of sulfur that takes time to dissipate. I'll use that again in the fall.)

I know there are the Knudson juices, but I have not seen peach or pear. I did find one kind that was mango peach that was all juice and natural flavors. I might use that if I can't find anything else.

Does anyone know of a brand I should look for? Maybe something frozen? I have a little time before I need it (probably 3 weeks at least).

I know this won't help you currently, but if you live near any peach orchards, stop by in the summer and ask for overripes. They are (gasp) overripened and are very soft, often with bruising, but very cheap. Most importantly, they are very juicy. We usually cut them up for use in cobblers, smoothies, and such, but I imagine they would be good for pressing as well.

I hear ya, I feel weird when I clean them out of what's on the shelf because I know I'm turning it into booze and no babies will be drinking it

I'm about to start a quick and cheap batch of cider for the summer. Our usual method is to us two gallons of cider from an orchard (we do it in the fall), let it ferment out dry, then backsweeten with another gallon of fresh cider. This ends up with a moderately sweet cider at about 5% ABV. We carbonate in the keg.

For this batch, I'm using supermarket apple juice that I will ferment dry, and then I want to backsweeten with another kind of juice - peach or pear. The problem I'm having is finding peach or pear juice. Does anyone know of a brand or source of real fruit juice that's peach or pear? Most of the fruit juices on the shelves are a juice drink with "natural flavors," including one that said "100% fruit juice" on the front. Many of them also have preservatives, which is ok since it goes in after fermentation (in fact, it's probably a bonus).

I'm planning to use leftover US-05 slurry from a blonde that finished 2 weeks ago. I think that yeast will get started fast. I can control temps somewhat, and I'll keep it cool at the beginning.

(I really liked the results from the White Labs cider yeast, but it is a little slow and makes quite a bit of sulfur that takes time to dissipate. I'll use that again in the fall.)

I know there are the Knudson juices, but I have not seen peach or pear. I did find one kind that was mango peach that was all juice and natural flavors. I might use that if I can't find anything else.

Does anyone know of a brand I should look for? Maybe something frozen? I have a little time before I need it (probably 3 weeks at least).

Knudsen does make an organic pear juice:
http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/organic-juices/organic-pear

They also make a peach nectar, but it also contains apple juice and "natural flavor." No clue as to what that flavor is though.

Vintner's Harvest makes fruit puree intended for wine/cider/beer making, they have both peach & pear, I think this would be your best bet. Many LHBS's carry them or you could order them from online HBS's.
http://vintnersharvest.com/collections/fruit-wine-bases

Hope that helps. Regards, GF.

I might have to look a little harder for the Knudson juices. I guess I could live with natural flavor.

Do you know the difference between the puree and the wine base from Vintner's? They are a little pricey. Might even be better to ferment half puree and half cider, then backsweeten with apple.

Ideas for next time!

I might have to look a little harder for the Knudson juices. I guess I could live with natural flavor.

Do you know the difference between the puree and the wine base from Vintner's? They are a little pricey. Might even be better to ferment half puree and half cider, then backsweeten with apple.

Ideas for next time!

Far as I know, the puree is just fruit puree, with some juice added for liquidity. Some of the fruit wine bases are actually concentrates, others are basically just fruit canned with fruit juice, maybe chopped or crushed, but some, like berries, will be whole, though the canning process softens them up. Check the Vintner's harvest site for more info.
Regards, GF.

Thought I would follow up on this. I ended up using a small bottle of blackberry juice, although someone opened it and drank a glass. I also added a blend of blueberry and pomegranate juice. Put the berry juice in the keg, then filtered the fermented cider into the keg to mix. Put it on the gas and carbonated. You can hardly tell it has alcohol, which could be dangerous.

Back