Peach Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaPyro

Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time no see!

Anyways, started a Peach Melomel. Here's what I did:

24lbs Dark Clover Honey from a farmer's market (sat for two years non-adversely in a dark cool pantry)
Water to make it 5.5 gallons
Wyeast 4184
9lbs Oregon Peach Puree
Energizer
Fermaid
Fermented perfectly at 68 degrees with initial increase to 70 in a cool basement
3 Stages Fermentation, 4th stage to clarify before bottling.

So far I did a primary ferment with no fruit that once slowed down to near finish I racked to 3lbs peach puree, and also let ferment to near finish, and then racked onto 6lbs peach puree. Each time ensuring that I was adding some energizer and fermaid to keep the yeast alive and healthy.

The only sample I had was at the secondary racking to tertiary stage. So far the initial hit on the tongue was medium phenols (not hot), but easily goes away towards the back of the palate that finally gives way to a hint of peach flavor. I use a 6oz conical tasting glass, the note seemed to reflect some of this phenol character as well. Some being light but noticeable. Overall, after letting to room temperature it became almost a non-issue, with a sweetness character bordering but not quite cloying.

This is week 1 of stage 3 and the added puree did take off in a light fermentation and the fruit puree has floated from the bottom to the top.

I'm presuming that going with 24lbs of honey in a semi-sweet mead yeast was already a bit of an overzealous idea. I guess from brewing some taller beers I was rather confident I could help the yeast along without too much stress or ruining the flavor.

My question becomes more of an outreach for thoughts and opinions on what I've started here?

I've found it difficult even in google searches for anyone with experience trying to put out a "stack mead" with so much honey involved. The only thing I find is reference in BJCP guidelines for strength, but not much experience related posts regarding it so I'd love to read them if you have them.

Thanks for reading and appreciate any information/thoughts in reply!

:mug:

Back