Peach Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Im looking to make a Kolsch for the SWMBO in the summer. I was thinking since she loves Pyramids Apricot Ale- that a Peach Kolsch would be something shed like. The goal is a 6% abv kolsch with good peach flavor undertone thats not over powering like Pyramids Apricot.

I was thinking
Batch size 5gal
9lbs either Pils or 2row
1lb wheat malt
1lb Vienna malt or Carapils

Hops:

1.5 oz Hallertau for 60 minutes
1 oz Saaz (3.5% aa) for 30 minutes
1 oz Saaz (3.5% aa) for 5 minutes

Saflager S-23
1 tsp irish moss - added at cool down
1 can Oregon Peach Puree added to the secondary

Ive got 3.5 months to get this together and cannot load beersmith right now.

You only want about 5% of wheat and 5% of munich, but i would think the vienna would work ok.

I like the saaz but only do a 60 min bittering and to the tune of 21 or 22 IBUs.

This way will get you a traditional kolsch that you can add the peach too.

I have a kolsch fermenting away right now as I type. My second make of this recipe and i can imagine the added peach to it. I think you may have a good beer.

The most important ingredient for a Kolsch is authentic liquid yeast from Cologne, Germany, without it one cannot truly make Kolsch.

Use whatever you can get your hands on, it's just that the yeast does make a difference with this style.

MikeFlynn74 said:
hrrmm

10lb Pale/Pils
.5 Wheat
.5 Munich
?

looks more like it.

and for sure use pilsner malt.

what do you plan to do for the peach. as i said i am interested.

I would personally sooner use US05 fermented cold (around 60-62) than the S-23 in a Kolsch if you can't get the Kolsch liquid yeast.

Well, I believe that a subtle ale yeast character in a Kolsch is more appropriate than a more lager yeast character. You will get an extremely clean beer either way, but I think the subtle fruit character from the ale yeast at the low temps will be just a little better.

Though if you are adding fruit anyway, I guess the point is moot. Anyway, the difference would be small.

Back