Peace Coffee Stout FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I brewed up a 5 gal batch of NB's Extract Peace Coffee 2nd Crack Stout. I brewed according to their recipe and pitched some recycled WLP004 (straight, no starter) and fermentation took off in about 36 hrs and subsided in 2-3 days. The original gravity read about 1.060. Two weeks later I checked it and it's only about 1.030, still quite high. The recipe claims it can bottled in 2 weeks, but I'm guessing mine's not done. I guess I need to check it for 2 more days to be sure. I'm not quite sure what a reasonable expectation of an FG is for this recipe. Any chance this is a stuck fermentation?

That seems high to me, too. You might try to rouse the yeast by shaking the carboy a little and raising the temp to 70-72F and see if they'll do a little more work.

I see you're in Tinley Park - do we know each other? Perhaps from Brewers of South Suburbia (BOSS)?

Sounds like a good idea, I'll give 'er a shake and place it in a warmer spot. The fermentation didn't seam particularly vigorous or bubbly, and was quite short lived. But that was with a skim of recycled yeast with no starter from two pint jars. Any harm in harding my last recycled sample at this point?

I don't belong to any brew clubs, I'm just an under the radar home brewer. The only place you might have caught me is at one of the LHBS.

50% attenuation seems low. Before you get all crazy and start trying to unstick this fermentation confirm that it is actually stuck. Wait 3-4 days and check the SG again. If it hasn't moved then proceed with attempting to unstick it. I would suggest pitching fresh yeast. The recycled yeast may of had low vitality and/or viability.

Back