Peace Coffee Stout FG?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Woodland

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I brewed up a 5 gal batch of NB's Extract Peace Coffee 2nd Crack Stout. I brewed according to their recipe and pitched some recycled WLP004 (straight, no starter) and fermentation took off in about 36 hrs and subsided in 2-3 days. The original gravity read about 1.060. Two weeks later I checked it and it's only about 1.030, still quite high. The recipe claims it can bottled in 2 weeks, but I'm guessing mine's not done. I guess I need to check it for 2 more days to be sure. I'm not quite sure what a reasonable expectation of an FG is for this recipe. Any chance this is a stuck fermentation?

Pappers_

Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That seems high to me, too. You might try to rouse the yeast by shaking the carboy a little and raising the temp to 70-72F and see if they'll do a little more work.

I see you're in Tinley Park - do we know each other? Perhaps from Brewers of South Suburbia (BOSS)?

OP
Woodland

Woodland

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea, I'll give 'er a shake and place it in a warmer spot. The fermentation didn't seam particularly vigorous or bubbly, and was quite short lived. But that was with a skim of recycled yeast with no starter from two pint jars. Any harm in harding my last recycled sample at this point?

I don't belong to any brew clubs, I'm just an under the radar home brewer. The only place you might have caught me is at one of the LHBS.

TipsyDragon

Reaction score
50% attenuation seems low. Before you get all crazy and start trying to unstick this fermentation confirm that it is actually stuck. Wait 3-4 days and check the SG again. If it hasn't moved then proceed with attempting to unstick it. I would suggest pitching fresh yeast. The recycled yeast may of had low vitality and/or viability.